AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are similar posts but they are not very recent and I know a whole new slew of LCD's have come out recently (Samsungs, Toshiba's, Panasonic's).

to be honest, i don't have a price range but would like it if i could stay under $2K (shouldn't be too tough since 42" is a good price point right now).

My MAIN use is as a desktop monitor for word processing, internet, desktop use, etc. The second use is as a pc gaming monitor (not xbox/ps3).

I have a pretty solid system (3.2ghz 4 core intel with an 8800gts video card) so running at 1920x1080p shouldn't be a problem.

I just don't want any overscan...I want it to look like a computer lcd monitor! =)

I'm looking at the Samsung 5 and 6 series, the Toshiba Regaza's, Sharp Acquos Gaming LCD's, and finally the Panasonic Viera's.

Help! =)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
My 37 inch LG 37LG50 is PERFECT for computer use. Text is SUPERB at 1920x1080 and at a street price of $1,100 is a BARGAIN compared to the others you have listed AND has FAR greater ability of customizing EVERY minute detail of the display.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
What type of budget are you looking for? My suggestion for best bang for the buck would be the LN40A750, if you wanted my advice. I'm going for the 46" version of that myself.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
budget is really secondary. i would like to stay under $2,000 for a 42" or 40" which i think includes all but the most expensive sony's (cough, overpriced, cough) and maybe some of the series 7 samsungs.

ill check out the LG's, thanks!

anything else that people love, are excited about?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DReborn /forum/post/14233733

budget is really secondary. i would like to stay under $2,000 for a 42" or 40" which i think includes all but the most expensive sony's (cough, overpriced, cough) and maybe some of the series 7 samsungs.

ill check out the LG's, thanks!

anything else that people love, are excited about?

Well, you're in for a surprise when you actually the the price on Amazon for the 40" A750.

You might actually see the small price gap being worth it. At least that was the case with the 46" versions, up until the A750 sold out yesterday, and people actually caught on to the small gap between the A650 and A750.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm currently using a Toshiba 42VX540U as a computer monitor and I'm quite happy with it. You might want to look at this or the 46" (which reportedly uses a Samsung panel).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bumping a year-old thread that's related to my question (that auto-search function here is pretty great!)

I'm getting ready to build a new desktop. Doing work it will be used for programming, CAD, creating documents. Doing not work it will be doing media, internet, and some gaming.

I'd like to go all-out on the display for this machine, as I've learned that money spent on the display goes a lot farther to making you happy than money spent on the guts of a computer.

I'm looking at getting a 1080 HDTV LCD panel and I've got a number of questions before I sink the cash into one.

120 Hz panels are starting to become affordable. Does this mean that I actually get 120 frames from my video card displayed every second, or does the TV just interpolate extra frames into a 60 Hz source?

I am also concerned that because TVs have more video processing in them than your typical monitor that I will see an amount of input lag using one as a monitor. Are my fears well founded? Can some of the signal processing stuff in TVs be switched off to minimize this?

I don't know much about LCD televisions, so I'm wary about sinking the money until I'm reasonably sure I'll like it.

Also, any specific recommendations for TVs would be welcome. I'd like to be around the 1k range, +/- a couple hundred.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts