AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a recommended 42 inch plasma that has it all for a good price? For my bedroom which has cable I would like to get as much bang for the buck without violating the wife approval factor by jamming the area with extra speakers, receiver, etc. I notice that the approved Panasonics all require extra speakers, tuner, receiver, etc. The AVS and Sanyo appear to have much of what is desired, but have been ridiculed by the participants of this site. Is there a good alternative that has it all with all needed input connections and signal acceptance?

Thanks

· Registered
1,061 Posts
What about the consumer version of the 42" Panasonic? It has built in speakers and a tuner.

It would also help if you have a planned budget.

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already have a projector in my theatre room and a hd widescreen in the family room so, I want to spend as little as possible for the bedroom tv as I must keep the spouse happy. I have already spent too much the last couple of years on equipment for the other rooms, and do not want to go to the much added expense of replacing all if wife reaches limit, leaves and takes all my toys. Therefor my reasoning for as cheap as possible.

· Registered
692 Posts
JimSD: The price probably won't fit his "I want to spend as little as possible for the bedroom" need.

You're best bet for purchase is at Costco, hopefully you have those where you live. They go for $2999 with speakers and table stand included.

· Registered
31 Posts
I would check out the Panasonic consumer model which includes the speakers and tuner. The Costco $2,999 is more than I paid for my commercial Panny. The consumer model shouldn't be that much more. Of course I didn't take the time to look up the exact price but it should be close enough in price that it's worth checking out. It's a much better panel than what Costco offers IMHO.

· Registered
107 Posts
A good price is relative. I echo JimSD's sentiments regarding the Panny pa2ou. You can purchase the pa2ou for roughly $3,500 (includes shipping) from several reputable internet dealers.

· Registered
7,205 Posts
I second HX_Guy.

With Costco's return policy, oldmaggot can use the Akai for few months (Maybe a year or more ) and return it for a full refund.

By then prices on Plasmas will be even lower so he can afford a better display. :D

· Registered
51 Posts
I just put the Akai in my bedroom. For 3K and what you get its about the best value out there.

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I checked at Costco. They have the Akai 4294 mentioned above for $3000. but I am not sure if it has a tuner and speakers. They also have a Sampo PME 42S6 for $2800 and a SVA HD4208TIII for $2500. Both of these come with speakers and a tuner and seem like a great deal. The Panasonic appears to be $3500. A big diference, and from the specs appears to not accept 720P. I am not sure about the SVA's acceptance of 1080i, the specs are somewhat confusing. Any experience with any of these cheaper brands?

· Registered
1,236 Posts
When you're figuring price, remember to consider sales tax (if any) on a B&M/Costco purchase. That can add a few hundred dollars and narrow the gap significantly.

Glauco, I hope you weren't serious about suggesting to use it for a few months and then return it even though there is no problem. Abuses like that will surely lead to the end of their generous return policy as it did with computers. My feeling is that the policy is a safety net that gives you confidence in purchasing a less well known brand and if it blows up in a year and a half, 6 months out of warranty, you're not stuck with it.

· Registered
692 Posts
Quote:
My feeling is that the policy is a safety net that gives you confidence in purchasing a less well known brand and if it blows up in a year and a half, 6 months out of warranty, you're not stuck with it.
JimSD: See, that is the reason I recommend the Akai over the (internet) Panny. You are right that after taxes, there is only a differece of ~$200...that that's an online price vs a physical store price.

What happens if you buy the Panny, and 18 months after you buy it, it dies? You're out of $3500.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.