AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Best faux 4k Projector under 3000?

In the market for a projector upgrade, I currently have the Epson 2150. For me personally I care about color saturation and how vibrant the colors are. I hate a dim image with dull colors doesn't matter if it's sharp or detailed. Currently I am looking at the Optoma UHD65, Ben Q HT5550, Epson 5050UB. Out of these which would you say is the best for vibrant colors and decent brightness with ambient light? Usually have the lights turned off in my projector room, but it would be nice to still have a quality image with some light. Let me know your opinions/experiences. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
BenQ HT5550 and teamed up with a Steward Studio Tek 130 with 1.3 gain the HDR will pop .

Reactions: Frank714

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Just note that none of those are true 4K projectors, there are none in that price range at the moment. I was going to go with the Epson until I found a steal on a JVC.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Ambient light is a killer of front projection. If you want a nice bright vivid picture fix you ambient light issue. The Epson would be my choice by a long shot. To get an even brighter more vivid picture the Epson 3700 is the best HT class of projector for ambient light issue but of course it is only 1080p. 4K in front projection still has a lot of issues and it might be well worth it to wait longer.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just note that none of those are true 4K projectors, there are none in that price range at the moment. I was going to go with the Epson until I found a steal on a JVC.
JVC's have been only been native 4k since this year.. and worldwide problems too.. 4k pixels should not be the top of the list of importance..

·
Registered
223 Posts
In the market for a projector upgrade, I currently have the Epson 2150. For me personally I care about color saturation and how vibrant the colors are. I hate a dim image with dull colors doesn't matter if it's sharp or detailed. Currently I am looking at the Optoma UHD65, Ben Q HT5550, Epson 5050UB. Out of these which would you say is the best for vibrant colors and decent brightness with ambient light? Usually have the lights turned off in my projector room, but it would be nice to still have a quality image with some light. Let me know your opinions/experiences. Thanks!
I second the recommendation for the Epson 3700. My wife sometimes even leaves some blinds open while using the projector. It’s as bright as a tv.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
you may want to search for used Sony and JVC first, as you might find them to be available in the low 3k to mid 4k range, then circle back to the 5050UB if you can't find any good deals.

What are some good places to look for the Sony at or around these prices preowned?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I would check out the:

BenQ TK800M

Viewsonic PX-747

Optoma UHD51ALV

I was impressed with the brightness along with reasonable colour of the PX-747 - See my thread in the deals found sub-forum and I suspect that the TK800M and UHD51ALV will be superior variants of the PX-747.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I think all three will meet your requirements but only the Epson offers to added benefit of decent black levels if and when you can obtain a fully light controlled room.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Epson 5050UB, no question.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts