AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am going to really put a little more $$ to my HT system.. I am planning to spend no more than 2k to the speakers.. and i want it to look good with my modern furnitures and flat screen..

and i want the front to be floor standing and look nice

current contenders are:

Aperion 4T .. around 1600.. seems good customer service.. a little cheaper

Paradigm Millenia 200s ... seems like some promotion going on on the web.. and i should be able to get whole system around 2k

Def tech mythos... it's probably going to be more than 2k.. even the mythos 5 system goes about 2500.. a bit my budget

any recommendations??? pros and cons?? i am more leaning towards aperion vs paradigm..

I enjoy good sound.. and play a lot of video gameas / watch movies.. i am not audiophile where i can tell much differences on the sound though..

thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
actually... i found some good deals on the web for def tech mythos 4 too.. should be able to get it around 2k for the whole set up..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kef & mirage? is that better than def tech / paradigm??

i want to focus on thse for now..

any comments on how they compare?

aperion vs millenia 200 vs mythos four

thanks?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no one in the whole forum can tell me preference between mythos 4 + gem vs paradigm millenia 200???

pls help

thx

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't know about the Aperion, but I listened to the Deftek and Paradigm you have listed, and ended up with Ascend Sierra's. They simply beat up Deftek and Paradigm for overall music and HT quality, AND...they were less expensive. I am a true believer that Inet-Direct products are worth investigating.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Is there any way to listen to the Sierra's before buying or are you stuck with buying them and then returning them if you don't like them?

·
Registered
57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vili /forum/post/15472506

Is there any way to listen to the Sierra's before buying or are you stuck with buying them and then returning them if you don't like them?

I know exactly where you're coming from. I felt the same way (e.g., "what a pain in the butt if I have to send these back"). I rolled the dice b/c I read so many great reviews about these speakers on this forum. I got the Sierra's for my LCR setup. A good friend of mine came over to give them a listen, being the sceptical person that he can be at times. He was absolutely amazed. He has pair of Bolaner Grabner 520i's and felt cheated he paid so much.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...c_sierra_1.htm

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I'm in the market for speakers and so far my favorites have been the CM1 and CM5 from B&W. Has anyone auditioned both of these and can compare them?

·
Registered
57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vili /forum/post/15472957

I'm in the market for speakers and so far my favorites have been the CM1 and CM5 from B&W. Has anyone auditioned both of these and can compare them?

I auditoned both and picked the Sierra's.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Yes.... and I have had the Sierra's in my house a couple of times now already for speaker shoot outs and they are a great performing speaker. I would take them any day over Paradigm Millenia anything... IMO and many others, the Millenia's are just plain awful sounding, they may look nice but thats as far as it goes...

disclaimer - I own Paradigm Studio's and Signatures.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Well I am going today to audition some Paradigm. There is a dealer about an hour away. He said they don't have a listening room, but have 5 or 6 sets hooked up to different TVs. I'll take a few movies and audition various scenes. If I like them I may order the Sierra-1s and see which one I like the most between them or the B&W CM1 or 5 series. The Sierra's are more at the budget I'd like to spend at around $1200-$1300 shipped for the front 3 whereas the B&W would be around $1600 or so probably.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've actually heard all three. IMO, the Aperions are the most neutral of the three. The Paradigm treble is in your face, very strong tweeter. I would find it fatiguing after a while. And I've never quite gotten used to the DefTech sound (but I like a very neutral presentation, YMMV). Please audition heavily to see what you like.

Still, Aperion pays for the shipping BOTH ways, so if you don't like them, just send them back.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Element /forum/post/15474816

I've actually heard all three. IMO, the Aperions are the most neutral of the three. The Paradigm treble is in your face, very strong tweeter. I would find it fatiguing after a while. And I've never quite gotten used to the DefTech sound (but I like a very neutral presentation, YMMV). Please audition heavily to see what you like.

Still, Aperion pays for the shipping BOTH ways, so if you don't like them, just send them back.

I've had aperions for about 1.5 yrs and love them. I wish I had others to compare them to. I know they beat the crap out of my previous JBL's but that was to be expected. If you are looking for looks as well, they are VERY attractive speakers. I have a full 5 speaker set up in piano gloss black and also a pair of the cherry satellites in another room.

I can vouch for them having excellent customer service. And as the above comment states, I find them VERY neautral and help review the true recording.

I wish I could comment on the other speakers you are looking at but I cannot and won't speculate.

Good luck with whatever you go with.

I have the 633t's -mains

533VAC - Center

422's - Surrounds (and 2nd room stereo)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtata /forum/post/15471579

no one in the whole forum can tell me preference between mythos 4 + gem vs paradigm millenia 200???

pls help

thx

Hi, boxtata:

In this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1100995 there are links a couple of professional reviews for the Mythos 4 plus gem that might be helpful in your decision.

Good luck!

·
Registered
554 Posts
So we're comparing thin wall hanging speakers that emphasize aesthetics against a floorstanding tower and now the Sierra-1 bookshelf is thrown in the mix?

No offense, but either the thin wall hanging aesthetics are important or their not. If they're not, and towers & bookshelfs are fair game, we can probably give out a hundred recommendations.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
+1 Aperion

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jnickrand

I, the OP, am focusing mainly on floorstanding fronts... it's another gentlemen that suggested sierra, which is a bookshelf.. I probably not going to look at bookshelf too much.. but i welcome to additional suggestion so I can learn more

both mythos 4 , aperion, and millenia 200 are floorstanding

The reason I am not leaning towards aperion is that they don't have discounts.. so 5T hybrid is 2600 ... whereas if i go for mythos 4, mythos3, gem, supercube, it's heavily discounted on web now (esp the silver model) it's technically a 3500 system that I can now get for about 2500

so it just made me feel a little better about the purchase.. not sure if it's valid or not..

plus originally i was really focusing on system around 2k

so again.. the criteria for me at least is a good sounding 5.1 system, mostly for movies, around 2k range, looks good and modern, floor standing fronts.

thanks

vili.. also please report back on the auditions findings

1 - 20 of 25 Posts