AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a Definitive 600 series 5.1 setup in a local Myer Emco. They are asking $799. I like definivitve because I've heard good things about them and I've also heard they are a local company. So if my budget is in the $700-800(with an absolute cap of $1000 all in), what would you all recommend? I will be mating these to a Onkyo TX-SR876(leading candidate right now).

I would prefer not to get floor standing speakers. Does not have to be book shelf, but I'd like to have them mounted. Two dogs, a cat, and a baby on the way sort of suggest wall mounted would stay healthier longer.

Also there is zero room behind my seating positions and is a V section. Imagine a square but the TV is in a corner and the primary seating positionins are in the opposite corner. I know it's not ideal, but given the room shape and everything around its the best location. So I'm thinking this is a consideration for the rears.

The Definitive setup I was looking at was 4 of the same 600 series bookshelf speakers, a center, and sub. Is Definitive the best brand in this price point? Should I be looking at other brands? Should I mismatch fronts, rears, center, and sub to get the best components or will I get a better over all sound and price from buying a package from a single manufacturer? Also price wise, can i find them cheaper online?

Thanks for your help,

Mike

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
SVS Sound makes a very good surround system that comes with a very good subwoofer. Check them. There is also some very good speakers that get very good reviews from Emotiva. Below is a test of one of the SVS Sound systems from Secrets of Home Theater. I realize this one is out of your budget, but there is a smaller system that also got very good reviews.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/home-...equalizer.html

That PB 10 is one heck of a sub for its size.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I like Definitive Technology speakers. The small bookshelves they make a nice sounding. The best? That would be up to you. Klipsch, Polk, Mirage, Energy, etc all make speakers in your price range that would perform well. They all sound different and you would have to decide based on your ears. I would look for Bookshelves that can go to 50hz or so. If they only go to 80hz or 100hz I have found the sound transition from sub to speakers lacking. Not saying you couldn't get good sound, but I have not been able to myself.

I would not buy a Subwoofer from any of them. There are some better bang for buck brands online. Premier Acoustics, BIC, HSU research, SVS, etc. Get a really good subwoofer or you will end up upgrading later. I would highly recommend the subwoofer forum.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
First, unless you are getting a fabulous deal on that receiver, I think you have allocated too much of your budget for the receiver and not enough for the speakers. The cheapest I am seeing that receiver for is $800, from accessories4less.com. I would use some of that money for the speakers instead, it will make a much a much bigger difference in your system in the end.

Second, with your room and seating arrangement, I wouldn't bother spending much on the surround speakers, if I even decided to have those speakers in such a setup at all. I find that when surrounds are too close to the listener, it is really irritating and distracting. If you find this is the case, just stick with 3.1. To be honest, I would just get the 3.1 for now, and get the surrounds later, with a plan of returning the surrounds if they are too much of a presence. Anyway, with the acoustics of your situation, given the way the sound from the fronts will rebound off your walls, surround speaker may not make any sense for that anyway.

You usually save money by buying a package from one speaker manufacturer, however you don't always end up with the best components. Like Mbyrnes said, you will end up with a pretty 'meh' subwoofer with most of those packages.

The speakers you really want to have matched are the front three. The surrounds don't matter as much, although you don't want them to be too far off in sound character from the front three. It doesn't matter what brand the subwoofer is, as long as it is a good one. Some great internet direct subwoofer companies which make subs in your price range are HSU Research , Elemental Designs , SVS (their site seems to be down at the moment, but that is the correct URL), and Outlaw Audio . You absolutely will not get short-changed on subs from any of those companies. They also make excellent speakers too, although Outlaw's speakers are out of your price range. A sub/speaker package from those companies will be a greater value than what you can get from any local retail deals, at least as far as performance goes.

You can also get good budget subs from BIC, Dayton, and Premier Acoustics, although they are not internet direct companies. BIC Acoustech speakers look good as well. Some other good internet direct companies are Ascend and Axiom . These aren't the only ones, there are others, ask around for recommendations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts