Discussion Starter #1
This is the current build I've made

Center - Dayton Audio CCS-33B - 49.97
B652-AIR x4 - 59.80x2 (119.60)
Refurbished SW012 - 74.99 (99.95 new)
Refurbished RX-V379 - 189.99 (229.95)

At
434.55 total

I know this is probably a silly question, but is there any room to cut corners?

Any other suggestions?

I didn't really want to go over 400$ but i feel like this is a good middle ground.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
Reactions: gajCA

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Zorba.

Hdcp 2.2 is a thing as im running a 4k TV so i think that would bring the choices to

rx-v379
SR343

Not counting the 170$ dollar options, i didn't look at those yet.

As far as the speakers go, isn't it generally recommended that they all be the same?

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
As far as the speakers go, isn't it generally recommended that they all be the same?
Ideally, theoretically, and IF you are extremely picky. :)

For the large majority of casual users who watch movies without sitting on the edge of their seat obsessively pricking up their ears for any small sonic irregularities, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it whatsoever. Especially if you're trying to save a few bucks here and there.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ideally, theoretically, and IF you are extremely picky.

For the large majority of casual users who watch movies without sitting on the edge of their seat obsessively pricking up their ears for any small sonic irregularities, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it whatsoever. Especially if you're trying to save a few bucks here and there.
Haha, I'm definitely not. Hell, the soundbar i had sounded good (to me) all except for the the fact that it sounded too sharp to the point it hurt my ears. I've been using built in tv speakers most of my life and have never had more than a HTIB 5.1 for my PC so i suppose anything will be an improvement.

I was half expecting to get lambasted over my setup choice here lol

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
How big is your room? 8" subs don't necessarily work well in big rooms, especially if you want to run it loud. Might be better to save a little more and get the Dayton Sub 1200.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, your thread is titled 5.1 speakers, nothing about receivers/passthroughs. I'll toss in my 2 cents audio-wise and you'll have to deal with the cabling & pass-through issues. As far as surprisingly good sound and identical drivers all around, my home office setup uses a Logitech Z5500. It's obsolete though many are available places like eBay for $350+, and the nominal replacement model from Logitech, Z906 (currently $369 new on Amazon), is THX certified like the Z5500 was.

The Z906 has

• 2 Digital optical inputs
  • 1 Digital coaxial input
  • Six-channel direct input
  • RCA input
  • 1 3.5 mm input I don't recall if the Z5500 has six-channels in as I use digital optical off of the PC / Blu-ray, and I'm not there right this moment to look.

My office is also my 3D theater with a Panasonic 42" plasma, so good surround and solid bass extension is important to me. My main HT room has VMPS speakers, driven by various Yamaha, Denon, etc. so I live on the lower slopes of the high end audio-wise, and I have found for the smallish office that the Logitech is very very good. It might not be suitable for a largish room. The office is a generic 10x12' bedroom size, but I sit about six-seven feet from the fronts and centers with the sub near the room corner. Paul

Thanks Zorba.

Hdcp 2.2 is a thing as im running a 4k TV so i think that would bring the choices to

rx-v379
SR343

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
Another option would be to build a better system by buying one or two pieces at a time. Get good front mains and receiver now, Then sub then center, surrounds when funds allow. You will be much happier in long run.

My 0.02

Reactions: mdram and cel4145

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How big is your room? 8" subs don't necessarily work well in big rooms, especially if you want to run it loud. Might be better to save a little more and get the Dayton Sub 1200.
Well, the room is long, not wide. All speakers will likely be within 5 feet of me, the backends right by a loveseat and the front ends right next to the TV. Being that it's only a 55inch i have to sit relatively close to get the 4k benefits.

The ceiling is slanted like an upside down V, as I'm basically in an attic.

Sorry for the piss poor photo quality and the mess, I'm still moving in.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
If you put the subwoofer within a few feet of you then it doesn't have to work to fill the room as hard. So that is good.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, your thread is titled 5.1 speakers, nothing about receivers/passthroughs. I'll toss in my 2 cents audio-wise and you'll have to deal with the cabling & pass-through issues. As far as surprisingly good sound and identical drivers all around, my home office setup uses a Logitech Z5500. It's obsolete though many are available places like eBay for $350+, and the nominal replacement model from Logitech, Z906 (currently $369 new on Amazon), is THX certified like the Z5500 was.

The Z906 has

• 2 Digital optical inputs
    1 Digital coaxial input
    Six-channel direct input
    RCA input
    1 3.5 mm input I don't recall if the Z5500 has six-channels in as I use digital optical off of the PC / Blu-ray, and I'm not there right this moment to look.

My office is also my 3D theater with a Panasonic 42" plasma, so good surround and solid bass extension is important to me. My main HT room has VMPS speakers, driven by various Yamaha, Denon, etc. so I live on the lower slopes of the high end audio-wise, and I have found for the smallish office that the Logitech is very very good. It might not be suitable for a largish room. The office is a generic 10x12' bedroom size, but I sit about six-seven feet from the fronts and centers with the sub near the room corner. Paul

Thanks Zorba.

rx-v379
SR343

Thanks Paul, i will look into the systems you mentioned, but I'm leaning towards a reciever that can handle truehd or the dts equivalent and while i have no intentions of upgrading for years, the ability with a reciever might be handy? I'm not too sure. I'm new to the sound world. Ironic since I'm a musician and used to do audio production for the radio.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
Well, the room is long, not wide. All speakers will likely be within 5 feet of me, the backends right by a loveseat and the front ends right next to the TV. Being that it's only a 55inch i have to sit relatively close to get the 4k benefits.

Wow, 5 feet is actually nearfield distance! If it were me, I wouldn't bother running a center since your fronts will already be so close together and so close to you.

In fact, I would just go wtih a good quality stereo pair of speakers with the sub and skip both the surrounds and center.

Something like the EMPTek R5Bi for $182 shipped (pseudo-Bstock) is only $12 more than your 5 Dayton speakers and would provide much more quality and enjoyment.
http://emptek.com/r5bi.php
http://emptek.com/bs6019855430RB.php

Reactions: sigpig

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Wow, 5 feet is actually nearfield distance! If it were me, I wouldn't bother running a center since your fronts will already be so close together and so close to you.

In fact, I would just go wtih a good quality stereo pair of speakers with the sub and skip both the surrounds and center.

Something like the EMPTek R5Bi for $182 shipped (pseudo-Bstock) is only $12 more than your 5 Dayton speakers and would provide much more quality and enjoyment.
http://emptek.com/r5bi.php
http://emptek.com/bs6019855430RB.php
The reason I'm avoiding 2.1 is I don't intend to put any more money into this for several years (3+), especially this year as most of my money is dedicated towards SE Asia traveling all next year.

I only have 6 months left before i leave, id like to have some at least decent 5.1 fun before i go though. Some of the games i have coming up to play id really like to be immersed in.

The stereo on my TV sounds good to me, while i have never had 2.1 outside of some logitech for my pc, i can't imagine being as impressed when I'm looking for that enveloping sound.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
As stated, not sure if there is a point to a separate center if you will be all smushed up close like that.

Maybe go 2.1, or 4.1 extended stereo?

If you want to go cheap and don't mind meeting weird people, you probably could find better speakers than the Daytons on Craigslist. Spend for two decent fronts/sub, then whatever for the backs.

And a question better suited for the audiophiles here, but is truehd even worth it if we are talking about inexpensive daytons (or an inexpensive setup in general)? I mean, you could spend $25-$50 for a decent used receiver (non-hdmi), and the rest on a good set of stereo fronts instead. Wouldn't that be better than TrueHD and $40-$60 speakers?

I've been going the inexpensive route myself, and that is the way I went. Figured I'd rather spend on the speakers than the receiver.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
The reason I'm avoiding 2.1 is I don't intend to put any more money into this for several years (3+), especially this year as most of my money is dedicated towards SE Asia traveling all next year.

I only have 6 months left before i leave, id like to have some at least decent 5.1 fun before i go though. Some of the games i have coming up to play id really like to be immersed in.

The stereo on my TV sounds good to me, while i have never had 2.1 outside of some logitech for my pc, i can't imagine being as impressed when I'm looking for that enveloping sound.
Headphones can accomplish that immersion, too. And with your budget, arguably even better.

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
Most of us have experienced first hand that a good quality 2.1 sounds 10x better than a cheap 5.1 or HTIB, hands down . We are trying to spare from learning that the hard way. What Zorba and Doe Doe are saying makes a lot of sense. The limited space you have and the fact you'll be sitting so close with speakers 5 feet apart, a 2.1 set-up would be more beneficial in that space. I have learned alot on this forum and have applied most of the advice with good results. I can tell you first hand that they know what they're taking about.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Most of us have experienced first hand that a good quality 2.1 sounds 10x better than a cheap 5.1 or HTIB, hands down . We are trying to spare from learning that the hard way. What Zorba and Doe Doe are saying makes a lot of sense. The limited space you have and the fact you'll be sitting so close with speakers 5 feet apart, a 2.1 set-up would be more beneficial in that space. I have learned alot on this forum and have applied most of the advice with good results. I can tell you first hand that they know what they're taking about.
I did just give the TV stand a measure, the stand itself is a little over 5 feet, and the mains would be on the left and and right of the stand on their own stands.

I will have a love seat in front of the TV and the rear speakers behind the corners of the love seat, which will likely be as long as the TV stand itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've decided against the AIRs. I've read that they are very bright which was my issue with my soundbar..

However I'm still pretty set on 5.1...

BUT...

I'm considering getting 2x MB42X to start off with for my mains.

Or alternatively 4x of the MB42's

Either way I go, there's a matching center if I want one and seems to be more quality overall.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I've decided against the AIRs. I've read that they are very bright which was my issue with my soundbar..

However I'm still pretty set on 5.1...

BUT...

I'm considering getting 2x MB42X to start off with for my mains.

Or alternatively 4x of the MB42's

Either way I go, there's a matching center if I want one and seems to be more quality overall.
From those pics, it looks like the left/rights will be pretty close together... and then you'll be sitting up really close .. honestly not sure what the point to a center will be.

And if your surrounds are really, really close to you as well, you may find them more of an annoyance than immersive.

Maybe try the TV near that side wall instead of the corner, spread the left/rights out a bit, and use a recliner or something similar opposite?

In my Xbox room for instance I sit maybe 5 ft away. It never crossed my mind to even bother putting 5.1 in there, distance between center and sides would be a couple of ft, and surrounds would be ridiculous, as they'd literally be right behind me... like a ft away. I just use little boston acoustic cubes + sub, and it's fine.

But if you have your heart set on 5.1, try to figure out some arrangement where you can get more separation between the speakers. If they are all bunched up close, and you are smushed up close to the TV, there will be no point to it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts