AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have set a budget of no more than $15,000 for 5 speakers and a sub. I have done LOTS of research and I am now looking into the Paradigm Signature Series.

Paradigm Signature S8 - $5400

Paradigm Signature C5 - $2300

Paradigm Signature ADP - $2500

Paradigm Signature Servo - $3200

Total: $13,400

Could anybody recommend a matching system that is better for under 15k?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Revel F50 - $7500

Revel C50 - $3000

Revel S30 - $2295 (or if you prefer monopoles; M22 - $2200)

Revel B30 - $2995

Totoal: $15,790

Personally I would get the Revel system with M22's and a cheaper brand sub, like ACI, SVS, etc for $1500 or so.

I'm not saying it's better. But it is certainly worthy of an audition. I've heard both, and while the S8's are impressive, I believe I would get the Revels (would have to audition both more extensively if I were buying).

Some others to consider would be Energy Veritas, Von Shweikert, Dynaudio, and Aerial. I have not heard all of these but have read good things about them in a lot of places, and very little bad things.

Edit: Changed F12 to M22. The F12 is a floorstander in the cheaper Concerta line. The M22 is a monitor in the Performa line.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
the ones I've heard and LOVED....

Genesis 6.1 [now they also have a floorstander minus the powered sub]

dynaudio contours, with the new SCX center.

Dali helicons.

new B&W nautillus 8XX "D" series.

Others which I havent heard, but are well respected are...

VMPS RM 30, with the RM 40 center, RM1 rears, Larger Subs.

Onix Reference 3 ,

Salk sound Veracity HT3 etc

too many choices.... all of them worth an audition at least.

edit:- look up item number 1128117169

at audio gon dot com... nice deall on the C4 and the center :)

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Quote:
Revel F50 - $7500

Revel C50 - $3000

Revel S30 - $2295 (or if you prefer monopoles; F12 - $2200)

Revel B30 - $2995
Excelent suggestion! , but i would love to know more about the room, set-up, front-end, listening habits, volume levels, media used, etc....

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
If you have access to them, try the Thiel CS 2.4s at $4400.

I really liked the way they sounded. I didnt audition them for movie however - just full range stereo with the SS2 subwoofer and PX03 passive crossover.

$10,000 roughly for the 2.1 stereo setup.

Although I really like B&Ws, I felt that the Thiel CS2.4s were much better, clearer, more detailed than the N804s. In addition, I felt that Paradigm didnt really improve much with their triple priced signature series - I have to say that I was "unimpressed" at the very least. :/

(then again, maybe its just because I don't like the Paradigm sound. The only paradigms I was impressed with for performance/cost was their Titan bookshelves)

JMHO

·
Registered
257 Posts
"Better" is all subjective as what ones tastse's in sound are may be very different than your's.

So these are just some other idea's not neccesarily "better". :)

Salk Sound:

Mains-Veracity HT3-$3,899

Center-Veracity HTC-$1,499

Rears-Veracity HT1-$2,199

Subwoofer-Velodyne DD-15 $3,000 or ACI Audio Maestro $2,100

Onix:

Mains-Reference 3-$3,499 to $4,500 depending on finish.

Center-Reference 100-$950 then perhaps upgrade to Ref 200 when released.

Rears-Reference 1-$1,200 to $1,500 depending on finish.

Subwoofer-Onix UFW-12 with RDES-$1,099 (price should go up though due to new driver being used).

Von Schweikert:

Mains-VR4 jr-$3,995

Center-LCR-15-$750

Rears-VR 1 or TS-150- ~$1,000

Subwoofer-Velodyne DD-15

Also look at ACI Audio, Dynaudio, B&W and all the other regular suspects.

Just try to listen to everything and let your own ears make the choices. :)

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Consider reallocating your budget.

$15k for speakers connected to a $1k receiver is a waste of speakers.

Everyone has their own rule, but personally I'd go 50% speakers, 50% amp/prepro.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraCL

Everyone has their own rule, but personally I'd go 50% speakers, 50% amp/prepro.
You can't forget about the room either. Room acoustics probably matter almost as much as the pre/pro and amp.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am buying this system with the future in mind.

My living room is not exactly optimal but I refuse to buy equipment that will match the room because I move too often.

I plan to use the system 50/50 music and movies.

I will be connecting the speakers to a Pioneer VSX-74TXVi A/V receiver (140w X 7) and Pioneer DV79-AVi DVD player.

·
Registered
115 Posts
deafgoose, I have the Signatures in my home, S2, C3, and the ADPs and for my size room I love them. I previously had the 805N B&W series setup, though they were great speakers, I like most, have roaming curiosity to try new stuff and ended up with the Signature speakers in the Birdseye Maple :) I am more than pleased with the sound quality and finish of these speakers...and btw, the ADPs really rock! I have a small room and don't require anything larger than this setup. These speakers coupled with Arcam AVR300, fmj DV29, and their fmj CD33, I couldn't be any happier. I listen to 75% music/dvd-a, and 25% video. Having this gear and speakers in my home affords me the opportunity to speak first-hand about the Signature line, and after listening for about 3 weeks they only get better ;) Maybe another time I would have gone with different speakers, and really went into my dealer looking to upgrade the Nautilus speakers and was swayed by auditions. My next choice would have been Thiel...but these Signatures hit my sweetspot, cost aside they are really great speakers with supreme finishes....Good luck in your search, thats the best part :D

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro99
Went here a few weeks ago and sale is still on.

http://www.northamptonaudio.com/Para...radigmhome.htm
I would run, not walk, to take advantage of this one. The $2500 savings could buy a nice upgrade to your electronics...

John

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Quote:

I think that most people would definitely recommend spending significantly more on the speakers than the electronics. 75/25 or 80/20 are pretty common recommendations.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie
Just ask Dave Wilson who auditioned his speakers hooked up to an Ipod to prove that very point. ^_^
I thought that was a Rotel amplifier (with the much-more-expensive Krells just there for display)? Stereophile article, I think...?

I dig Enigma's post. I really like the Revel sound. How about the Gems?

I'd also suggest 7 speakers with 2 subwoofers, room treatments (at least consider DIY bass traps & absorption at first reflection points) and reviewing your electronics. That's quite a generous budget, but I was already looking at used equipment to stretch it further... incorrigible!

Did you recently come into some money? :D

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
I can't say "better" to you, but these would be good to check out:

Meridian DSP33s/D2500 digital active (requires Meridian preamp but no amps) - ~$15K + preamp

Triad Gold LCR w/dual Gold subs (in Widescreen Review this month) - ~$12K + amp + preamp

NHT Xd Digital Active system (amps included) - ~$16K + preamp

Phase Technology digital active (amps included) - ~$15K + preamp

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
if you dont want to spend much on the processing part of your HT, thats fine you can always trade up in the future.

but almost all the speakers mentioned will SURELY suck the Pioneer dry.

you'll definitely need a nice 5 channel amp, like Gemstone,

or better[value] still... a 3 channel odyssey [with all upgrades] and the pioneer driving the surrounds.

ps: whats the 79AVi? have they announced the new universal player?

wouldnt you be better off with the [now cheaper] 59avi, if you intend to use it only as an all digital transport?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson
I think that most people would definitely recommend spending significantly more on the speakers than the electronics. 75/25 or 80/20 are pretty common recommendations.
Which is probably why they're constantly "upgrading" their electronics.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Quote:
Which is probably why they're constantly "upgrading" their electronics.
Agreed, I am pulling about 60/40 (speaker/electronics). 75/25 in most cases will be not allowing the speaker its full potential.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.