AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wonderful wife - she gave me the ultimatum last year that we needed a big screen for football season this year. :)

We're considering hitting the Labor Day sales to see if we can get a good deal on a new TV and maybe a decent HTIB.

We have a fairly small living room area. The online calculators for viewing angle/optimum placement all point towards a 50-52" screen. We have one couch that sits directly across from the TV and don't really have any seating off to the sides.

We'll be watching a fair amount of SD content on our DirecTiVo system, but are planning on upgrading to some DirecTV HD content and an HD DirecTiVo as well..

We would be watching about 1-2 dvds/week and the TV would see maybe a few hours of PS2 video games per week.

I'm sort of stuck in the "paralysis of analysis" phase at this point. :( I've been leaning toward a DLP set, but am more than willing to look at other sets.

Basically, I'm looking for the best performance and bang for the buck for my price range and space.

Any and all suggestions/comments appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here's a vote for the Sony KDF-E50A10. It's a rear projectin LCD and it's getting raves in the forum. It lists for $2499 so if you shop around you can probably get it cheaper (Circuit City is running a 10% off sale right now). That's at the bottom of your scale.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=562185

If you wait a month or two, Sony will be coming out with their new SXRD. This should be a great set, but I believe it will retail at about $3999. If you get a discount that may come out at the top end of your range.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=545987

Since you mentioned games, I've read that some people have lag issues playing games on a DLP. I have no experience with this so someone else will have to give more specifics.

·
Registered
128 Posts
No videogame lag or lip synch issues on the Samsung HLR5087w. Thats where my vote is going.

You can find the HLR5087w for around $2150 USD online. It's about $3200 at CC

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I have a Samsung 50" RPTV and like it, but I think plasmas put out a much nicer image. Plasmas have gotten so affordable I'll certainly never buy another RPTV. Costco.com has some 50" plasmas well within your price range.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As much as I'd love one of the SXRD sets and as much as my wife wants a big screen, that's just a bit too far outside of my price range. :( We're expecting a baby in November, and I don't think I can talk her into letting the baby sleep in the box the TV will come in. ;)

Thanks for the other tips, I'll take a little harder look at those sets. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would get the Sony KDF-55XS955..you can get one around that price. It's better than the A10 supposedly. All the sony employees say so due to its features and connectivity.

·
Registered
206 Posts
the picture is not actually better but better features and looks are on the xs955. It is just a A20 wrapped up pretty with some more features.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by advan24r
I would get the Sony KDF-55XS955..you can get one around that price. It's better than the A10 supposedly. All the sony employees say so due to its features and connectivity.
Unfortunately, 55" is too big for our space. 50-52" is really the max size we can use.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
It's not a rear projection, but you might consider the Panasonic TH-50PX50U plasma. The MSRP of this unit will supposedly drop to $4000 on 08/28/05. Online prices will be about $3400, and some B&M's may even offer some discounts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock65
It's not a rear projection, but you might consider the Panasonic TH-50PX50U plasma. The MSRP of this unit will supposedly drop to $4000 on 08/28/05. Online prices will be about $3400, and some B&M's may even offer some discounts.
That may be an option if I can get one of those no interest for a year financing deals.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I also purchased a JVC D-ILA 52G786 and received it just last week. Couldn't be happier. I would highly recommend this set. I bought from buydig.com, best price, excellent service/delivery. The only negative I have for the set is slow channel changing, but that may be found in other sets, too. Here are things I like about this TV compared to others:

- brightest picture of all rear projection sets; like plasma at half the price

- color accuracy

- better viewing angles than other rear projection sets

- great picture even with a lot of ambient light (daytime)

- very minimal glare on screen, again, great set for daytime viewing

- speakers underneath TV instead of on sides, allows for larger screen size in same TV opening

- speakers sound very good (much better than my last set)

- price lower than comparable DLP/LCD RP

- lots of inputs, including HDMI, 2 x FireWire, and built-in ATSC tuner

With the slim cabinet design and speakers on the bottom, you may be able to get by with the 56" set. My TV opening was only 51", so I went with the 52" model that is only 48.5" wide. The 56" JVC is only 52" wide. And the price at buydig today is what I paid for my 52" 2 weeks ago, AND it is a couple hundred lower than your minimum price. I don't think you can go wrong with the 52" or 56" JVC. Check it out!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I also vote for the JVC HD-ILA I purchased one two weeks ago and I can't stop gushing about it... It is easily the best looking set I have seen in this price point, period! After using DVE to fine tune the settings HD programs look as if I'm looking out a window.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.