AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I am a new member to this Forum, I have been reading on a lot of things here for several years. This is where I chose my 34 inch Sony XBR800 5 years ago against the competing Toshiba of the time. Thanks for that.

Now I am looking for a bigger set. Although I am sure it won't beat my Sony's CRT, I think today's flat displays are good enough to retire the CRT to the basement. Can you make suggestions... without starting a war of opinions.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
In my opinion there are certainly flat displays that will let you "retire the CRT to the basement". Probably your best bet is start looking at the various displays at Best Buy, Circuit City or similar type stores to see what looks good to you then come back to this forum and start looking at posts about that particular set you find appealing.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
If it was me, I would buy the Olevia 747i (47inch). They have a very good HD picture, and also very importantly, and acceptable SD picture (most do not). The only reason I have not gone with olevia, is I want at least a 52 inch set. There are some new introductions coming out from Samsung and Sony in the next couple months, but not sure if they have improved their SD picture. Mitsubishi just introduced their new line with 120hz, but again, not sure on the SD. If SD is a concern (and it is to me, as the majority of tv is still in SD) then I would go with the Olevia. There is a thread on this site with SD pics.

·
Registered
517 Posts
You're going to get lots of opinions on this topic. I was in the same boat as you a few months ago but couldn't find a LCD that gave me deep enough blacks for my primary viewing room. Ultimately I went with Sony's SXRD. It's not flat and I REALLY wanted to go flat. The picture quality was so good I just had to get it. I'd buy it again if I had to do it all over again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.