AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I was going to get the Panasonic PT-50PHD4-P but I wanted DVI and more brightness in the plasma I buy.

I then thought about the Sony 50" Plasma Wega TV KE-50XBR900. I don't want the speakers on the tv, and the Sony's SD performance when filling in the screen was very poor. I also don't want the separate Sony media box and a separate HDTV tuner on my table.

Now I've decided on the Marantz PD-5020D. It is very bright, does great sizing for SD pictures, and has everything included (DVI, HDTV tuner, interlacing etc.)

Anybody think they have a better plasma to recommend?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fujitsu makes the 50" Sony screens. Sony slaps their name on the them. Have you filled in the screen with a standard definition broadcast and seen the distortion?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Fujitsu doesn't make Sony's 50" plasmas. Sony uses Fujitsu's 42" 1024x1024 glass in a couple models which look terrible to me. ( the newer 1024 x 768 Sony XBR plasmas are much nicer but are way overpriced)

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyKay
The Fujitsu noted above uses Panasonic glass. And has excellent video processing. SD on any 50" plasma can range from good-to-awful, mostly depending on the signal itself.
... And with the "AVM" (Advanced Video Movement) Digital Video Processor used on the P50XHA10US the PQ will be the best among all 50" Plasmas displaying regular TV.

FYI:

* Sony uses Nec glass for XBR line.

* Sony uses its own electronics and the PQ is not up to the top three:

Fujitsu, Panasonic & Pioneer.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
"* Sony uses its own electronics and the PQ is not up to the top three:

Fujitsu, Panasonic & Pioneer."

I agree, but always thought this odd. IMO, Sony makes the best TVs PQ-wise (although I had a 35" Mitsubishi for many years and thought that was great) I find it strange that they would make such crappy pdp's. Maybe that will change at some point when they get serious about them. ;)

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Gotta love Mits. They tell Best Buy to list Scan Velocity Modulation as a feature of their TVs in the ads. Morons.

And before anyone asks (from the VE website):

"Scan Velocity Modulation (SVM) SVM is one of the many tricks manufacturers use to get more light out of a picture tube, at the cost of real picture detail. It changes the speed or velocity of the beam as it is scanned from the left to the right side of the picture. In the process, it distorts real picture detail, causing dark areas of the picture on light backgrounds to be reproduced much larger than normal and light areas on dark backgrounds to be reproduced much smaller than normal. When the beam spends more time writing" light areas, the phosphors receive more energy and produce more light output. The fact that this will contribute to phosphor blooming, as well as detail distortion seems to be lost on a number of manufacturers calling it a "feature."

If SVM is found on a set, look for an ability to shut it off. Several sets we've looked at provide this option in the mode of the set designed to accurately reproduce the signal source. In some other sets, it's easily defeated by a qualified service technician."

·
Registered
57 Posts
glass, yes that can make a difference, however electronics ie what a 4:3 picture will look like manipulated to fill the 16:9 screen will make or break that set not the glass.

you could have fuji glass and samsungs electronics that would not look as good as samsungs glass and fuji electronics

just my 2cents

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
And of course my 2 cents contradicts yours mj.

I'm sure most ppl are now fed up of me reminding ppl that the driving electronics behind the glass have a huge impact on PQ because of the way plasmas work (do a search on my name and "discharge" if you don't know what I'm talking about). When we talk about the glass we are actually talking about the glass coupled with the driving electronics. Scalers such as AVM (I know it's more than just a scaler) do make a difference and as has been pointed out before AVM seems to work on a subfield level so does have more of an effect than other scalers but they can only go so far if working with inferior "glass".

·
Registered
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by divvy
And of course my 2 cents contradicts yours mj.

I'm sure most ppl are now fed up of me reminding ppl that the driving electronics behind the glass have a huge impact on PQ because of the way plasmas work (do a search on my name and "discharge" if you don't know what I'm talking about). When we talk about the glass we are actually talking about the glass coupled with the driving electronics. Scalers such as AVM (I know it's more than just a scaler) do make a difference and as has been pointed out before AVM seems to work on a subfield level so does have more of an effect than other scalers but they can only go so far if working with inferior "glass".
ok

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.