AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be mounting this in my bedroom and I have no place for a media box. I need the plasma to have a built-in tuner for regular cable TV.

I am not interested in "silver" colored plasma's since the girlfriend said it wont match. ;)

·
Registered
447 Posts
deafgoose,

I would say the best Plasma meeting your specs is the Panny TH-50PX500U, now there is a little silver but it is just a little strip at the bottom.

[URL='http:/plasmatvpics/plasmatv/panasonic_500u.jpg%5B/IMG']http://www.*******************.com/plasmatvpics/plasmatv/panasonic_500u.jpg[/IMG[/URL] ]

Take Care,

Richard

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm in a similar situation as you and I'll likely be going with the Panasonic TH-50PX500U. If the silver strip on the bottom bothers you then check out the Pioneer PDP5050HD as well, also a very nice set and has a shiny black finish (as opposed to the Panasonic matte black finish). But in picture quality, I'd give a slight edge to the Panasonic.

·
Registered
387 Posts
There is the Samsung line also. The HP-R5072 would be a good choice for you. It is one of Samsung's 5th generation panelas, and is completely black. There isn't as much of a following, but these new generation panels from Samsung are great.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am curious about your comments concerning the HP-R**72 series Samsung's. I have seen the HP-R**52 series Sammys at BB and CC and as much as I wanted to like them, picture wise, it seemed to me that there was no comparison to the Panny 50U series. Pannys seemed to have better color and definitely better picture clarity/sharpness (although, the Sammys looked did look pretty good). Of course, there is certainly a subjective element involved here. Also, I did not check to see how the settings were set either. Now that being said, I have not seen a HP-R**72 series and I believe they claim to have 13 bit processing vs 12 bit for the HP-R**52. How do you feel the two Sammys compare? Is there really a difference between 13 and 12 bit processing?

Thanks,

Tim T

·
Registered
387 Posts
tterral,

Really the only reason I suggested the 72 over the 52 was because a black bezel was specifically requested, and the 5052 is silver and black. The difference between 12 and 13 bit processing though... Probably not as big a difference as the numbers look. You may be able to discern some difference, but at that point we're getting to the "it's all the small things that add up" point.

There are a few other differences, though. The speaker package on the 72 is a little nicer, and the inputs include an HDMI and a DVI instead of the lone HDMI that the 52 offers.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
There isn't as much of a following, but these new generation panels from Samsung are great.
Unless one watches a lot of SD, whereupon the Sammy falls flat on it's clay-face :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.