AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Velodyne Subwoofer (DSP-12B) a good choice? Are there better choices for around $500? This seeems like a really good sub, but I've never had the chance to actually hear one.

Thanx guys.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
What do you want?

Music?

Movies?

Both?

Where do you intend to cross over?

Do you want extension?

Do you want less extension, high spl?

Large sub or small sub?

Does it have to have a nice finish?

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Svs Pb10isd ;)

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mostly movies, some PC gaming (HL-2, BF2, Quake4 etc etc).

I'd like to crossover at about 60hz, but I'd probably have to listen and calibrate to what sounds best once I get it.

Not sure what extension means.

Looks don't matter. It will be hidden for the most part.

Also, this is in a four-sub setup, oriented into a 2-sub configuration with 2 subs stacked at the mid point of opposing walls (front and rear).

Thanx guys! :D

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always thought SVS subs were passive and required external amplifiers??

·
Registered
350 Posts
I just picked up a dps12 last week and enjoy it very much, however I would have gotten the svs if I didn't get such a great deal on the DPS.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Less than half of SVS subs are passive (about half of the cylinder line).

SVS and Hsu are definitely good options in this price range.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
best ~$500 sub

A used $750 sub.

Seth

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas
best ~$500 sub

A used $750 sub.

Seth
Definately!

Or the SVS PB10 if you already have a receiver. SVS PC 25-31 would be pretty good if you like a lot of bass.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
SVS PB10-ISD, Hsu VTF-2 mk II, or the Velodyne (DPS or DLS) are all great choices. If you could stretch to $600, then you could step-up to a 12" version from each mfg, and also include the Outlaw LFM-1.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn, 12" would be insane. Is SVS sold in Canada? I can't imagine the shipping on those bad boys!

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
SVS PB10-ISD, Hsu VTF-2 mk II, or the Velodyne (DPS or DLS) are all great choices. If you could stretch to $600, then you could step-up to a 12" version from each mfg, and also include the Outlaw LFM-1.
I agree, but I would also add the Velodyne DLS 5000R. It has a 15'' driver, 600 watts RMS and a built in EQ. At $600.00 it offers the best bang for the buck in the Velo line up. See link below.

http://www.legacyaudiovideo.com/dlseddldldl.html

Ian

·
Registered
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle
Also, this is in a four-sub setup, oriented into a 2-sub configuration with 2 subs stacked at the mid point of opposing walls (front and rear).
Are you saying that you want to buy 4 $500 subs or that you want to add one $500 sub to three existing subs?

If you want 4 $500 subs I would recommend buying 2 $1000 subs instead.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchTV
Are you saying that you want to buy 4 $500 subs or that you want to add one $500 sub to three existing subs?

If you want 4 $500 subs I would recommend buying 2 $1000 subs instead.
Good point - I reread that part of the post and I'm confused. Why do you need 4 subs? Is your bass lacking now? If you have a huge room, adding another 12", 200w sub might not add much unless it is placed near to your listening position.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I already have 3 and after reading the white papers, it looked like the best way to flatten out the bass and even out all the room nodes was to have a 2-sub configuration. I was running just the two subs stacked in the right corner of my room and it sounded awesome! But I had a 3rd Sony sub that I won (150W) in some contest a year ago and I felt bad that it was going to waste. SO I went to a 3-sub configuration and it sucked. I tried them EVERYWHERE! I even stacked all 3 together, but it didn't look very safe, ha ha! So now, I want to try (half the fun of home theatre for me is just messing around) 2 sets of subs, stacked 2-high at opposing walls at the midpoint. This is supposed to flatten the response, but also add punch. The room isn't huge, but its 18 x 16 and I really want to have the power when its needed.

I'm actually not all that into bass, but its really nice to have thumps when there is supposed to be thumps. These are all running off the LFE channel and none of them will be hooked up speaker-level.

Thanx for the help. I'll let you know how it works out and I'll post pics! :)

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I think the white papers on multiple subs assume they are all the same brand & model. Since yours aren't, you might be getting phase cancellations and other odd interactions even if they are co-located. Adding a cheap sub into the mix is rarely a good idea - they typically cause more harm than good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.