AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, a rather broad subjective question, but after a year of research and less than satisfactory results I have no other alternative

My Sharp 52D82U is the most disappointing electronics purchase of my life and I've been an enthusiast for most of my 48 years. I purchased the 52" unit almost a year ago and it was at least initially, stunning. Well the "banding" that is much talked about started to reveal itself and the T.V. is nearly unwatchable because after you notice the banding you can never unnotice it again. Sharp swapped out the T.V. after sending several e-mails with pictures of the problem but the replacement T.V. is actually worse than the original.

So here's the question, what is the best 52" 1080P picture out there? Plasma, LCD, whatever, I just want stunning at about $2500-$3000 is that too much to ask for?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I read lots of positive comments about Samsung LCD models. And their new LED sets (edge-lit to get within your price limit) just announced look promising, although they are not made in 52 inch size.

Incidentally, Sharp specifically addresses the banding issue with their new "gen 9" plant, with revised manufacturing techniques. Not trying to influence your choice of company, merely as a point of discussion.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogp /forum/post/15523734

vizo is releasing there new tv's in march you may want to hold off.

March ?????

Everything I have read says that the new LCD's they are pimping at CES right now aren't coming out till "Summer of 09".

Were did you hear/see March ??????

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
15,998 Posts
IMO, plasma has the best PQ in that size (better black levels and contrast, and no motion blur). LCDs are brighter, however, and plasma does not work as well in brightly lit rooms due to glare, so you should only go that route if you can control ambient light. Of course, it all depends on what looks best to your eyes! For LCDs, I'd stick with Samsung, Panasonic, and Sony. For plasma, Pioneer, Panasonic, and Samsung.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies,

Bill I've been looking into the Panasonic plasma's, specifically the TH-58PZ800 58" Plasma HDTV and it looks pretty promising.

As for Sharp, I'm just hoping to get my money back. I've gone through customer service, swapped out the set for a "refurbished" set, and now I just want my money back. I sent an e-mail last week with a copy of my receipt and am waiting for a "manager" to contact me back. I'm preparring for small claims court though as this sort of thing always seems to be a fight.

·
Registered
866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks911 /forum/post/15523346

I know, I know, a rather broad subjective question, but after a year of research and less than satisfactory results I have no other alternative

My Sharp 52D82U is the most disappointing electronics purchase of my life and I've been an enthusiast for most of my 48 years. I purchased the 52" unit almost a year ago and it was at least initially, stunning. Well the "banding" that is much talked about started to reveal itself and the T.V. is nearly unwatchable because after you notice the banding you can never unnotice it again. Sharp swapped out the T.V. after sending several e-mails with pictures of the problem but the replacement T.V. is actually worse than the original.

So here's the question, what is the best 52" 1080P picture out there? Plasma, LCD, whatever, I just want stunning at about $2500-$3000 is that too much to ask for?

You can read a lot of excellent reviews on the samsung 650 and up series or the sony xbr's. The samsung screens are too reflective for me so my last tv was a toshiba 52xv545u. It has excellent pq and many features including srt. In your price range you will have lot of choices.

If you want plasma the pioneer kuro followed by panasonic then samsung. The kuro is about $4000 though.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The best 52" LCD on the market right now, is the Samsung LN52A650. I purchased my Samsung a little over a month ago, and the quality of the picture is amazing. The colors, black levels, contrast and picture sharpness is the best I've ever seen.

When you play either blu-rays or HD DVD's on this baby, you're in for a real treat.

Since I'm the owner of two other JVC LCD's and a one Hitachi 57f59 RPTV in the house hold, the Samsung is in a different league by itself.

If my wife says, holly cow, look at that picture, that good enough for me.

Usually my wife couldn't care if she was watching a 27" CRT. Now, the Samsung is her favorite TV to watch.

Good luck in selecting your next LCD TV,

Randy

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks911 /forum/post/15523346

Well, I'm relying on online pricing here (Amazon, NewEgg), but the best 50-52 inchers in your price range are probably

- Pioneer Kuro (5020FD) plasma

- Sony XBR6 lcd

- Samsung A650/750/850 lcd

Sammy A950 is also great, but a bit above your price range, unless you go 46".

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemShock2 /forum/post/15529198

Well, I'm relying on online pricing here (Amazon, NewEgg), but the best 50-52 inchers in your price range are probably

- Pioneer Kuro (5020FD) plasma

- Sony XBR6 lcd

- Samsung A650/750/850 lcd

Sammy A950 is also great, but a bit above your price range, unless you go 46".

Yep. However I'd also include Sony's Z series.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe /forum/post/15529340

Yep. However I'd also include Sony's Z series.

Fair enough, they are very good. But I'm not sure they come in a 52".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts