AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that it's frustrating to see these types of threads pop up over and over, but I'm looking for a new tv relatively soon and have been out of the loop tech wise for the past few years. I've been reading through these threads, but its getting too ridiculous so I figured I would just straight out ask you guys.

I'm looking for the best tv that's 52"-55", under $2500, and sold at Best Buy so I can take advantage of their current 36 mo. no interest/no payment plan. I'd prefer a matte finish, but from what I've read most of the high end tv's are all glossy these days. Oh and I'm looking for one with QAM and ASTC tuners in it. Trying to get rid of DirecTv.

I've been looking at the sony xbr series and the samsung a950, with no luck. Anything and everything you've got will help. What do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heney /forum/post/16971696

I know that it's frustrating to see these types of threads pop up over and over, but I'm looking for a new tv relatively soon and have been out of the loop tech wise for the past few years. I've been reading through these threads, but its getting too ridiculous so I figured I would just straight out ask you guys.

I'm looking for the best tv that's 52"-55", under $2500, and sold at Best Buy so I can take advantage of their current 36 mo. no interest/no payment plan. I'd prefer a matte finish, but from what I've read most of the high end tv's are all glossy these days. Oh and I'm looking for one with QAM and ASTC tuners in it. Trying to get rid of DirecTv.

I've been looking at the sony xbr series and the samsung a950, with no luck. Anything and everything you've got will help. What do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

I would recommend the 52" B750. One of the best LCD's out there. It does have the glossy screen but if you can control most of the light, the screen is worth it. This TV does meet most of your preferences. In fact, it is the best TV under $2500 and many of us, including CNET, feel the B750 is the best LCD on the market with the exception of the much higher priced Sammy A950 and Sony XBR8.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Three that come to mind at BB that have a more matte type panel and get good web reviews:

Samsung LN52B630....currently $600 under your limit

Sony KDL-52xbr9.........currently $275 under your limit

LG 55LH90...................currently $100 over your limit

The LG might be worth the extra $$ due to it's LED local dimming backlight and extra 3" of screen.

Take your time, do some research and make sure you check them all out in person.

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would take a hard look at the A950 if your best buy still has it in stock. It is on sale this week in your price range and makes it almost 50% less than it was just a few weeks ago. IMO at this price the A950 can't be beat.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Run don't walk to your best buy store and get the 55A950 from Samsung... For your price range it is the best LCD TV to get. It is a local dimming LED LCD which is the high end TV and still the best of what LCD TVs have to offer.

Hurry while it's still available!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Samsung A950 is a good choice. Response rate is fast, 120hz,1080p, excellent picture quality. large no. of inputs. LED backlight. Good TV for a Good Price.

Also Sony KDL52Z5100 is again a good choice...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quick response. The Samsung A950 isn't available anywhere locally, but still available online. Is it worth pulling the trigger on without seeing the unit?

What are the differences between the samsung b630 and the a950?

What are the differences between the sony z5100 and the xbr9?

What would you pick between the sony 52xbr9 and the samsung 52b750?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heney /forum/post/16974617

Man, the a950 isnt available to me anywhere either pickup or shipped. So that's out of the question apparently.

It must be in extremely short supply, meaning only a few Magnolia locations have them. At that price, I'd buy one right now. I think their delivery area consists only of Magnolia locations. There are no Magnolia stores in my state, thus no shipping available.

·
Registered
360 Posts
"What are the differences between the sony z5100 and the xbr9?"

The xbr9 has a slimmer bezel than the z5100. The xbr9 has an upgraded wide color gamut ccfl backlight (wcg-ccfl) where the z5100 just has a standard ccfl backlight. Supposedly the wcg-ccfl on the xbr9 will give you more accurate, vibrant colors. The effect however may be so subtle that a lot of people might not see any difference.

"What would you pick between the sony 52xbr9 and the samsung 52b750?"

In my comparisons, i prefer the xbr9 because it has a more matte finish screen to help glare in a brightly lit room. The Samsung B750 has the ucp glossy screen which needs a room with controlled lighting. Not gonna happen with me. I also prefer the slimmer bezel of the Sony. The picture on both sets are great so I think it's a toss-up and just a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, here's where I'm at, there are 5 that I'm looking at.

BRAND MODEL PRICE TYPE

Panasonic TCP54V10 $2600 Plasma

Samsung LN55A950 $2500 LCD

Samsung PN50B860 $2400 Plasma

Sony KDL52XBR9 $2225 LCD

Samsung LN52B750 $2300 LCD

LG 55LH90 $2600 LCD

Apparently those two Plasmas have glossy screens, but they are anti glare, so hopefully that would be tolerable.

Unfortunately the top two are both unavailble in the three areas across the country that I could get them or have them delivered. Would it be worth waiting til they restock?

What are your thoughts on these sets in general?

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by minal187 /forum/post/16982738

i'd wait for a950. your money isn't going to run away and sooner or later they woul restock. it's worth it and you don't need a tv right this second (do you?)

The A950 is last year's model (that's why it's an "A" meaning it is a 2008 model. When they're gone, they're gone, minal187.

My vote is a big thumbs up for the 52B750. My friend just bought one last week and it's freakin' AWESOME!!! Cnet thinks so, too.

By the way, we're not supposed to discuss price, but forum sponsor Amazon.com has a much better price right now and using the right price code Y2M2LPH6 you can get an additional $325 off the 52B750 until August 17.

·
Registered
872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt660 /forum/post/16972045

Three that come to mind at BB that have a more matte type panel and get good web reviews:

Samsung LN52B630....currently $600 under your limit

Sony KDL-52xbr9.........currently $275 under your limit

LG 55LH90...................currently $100 over your limit

The LG might be worth the extra $$ due to it's LED local dimming backlight and extra 3" of screen.

Take your time, do some research and make sure you check them all out in person.

Good luck with your search!

Just wanted to thank you for your input. I just jumped in head first and got the LN52B630. I was previously leaning towards the Bravia W5100 but I have a feeling this one might be better (from what I've been hearing). And I think for a good price, $1595 at B&H with Free shipping. It should be here Thursday. Can't wait! I've been dealing with a Sony Rear Projection for 5 years now and it has developed lines that looks like orbits during darker scenes. Would have like the 650 but it's the matte that sold me...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts