AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help picking out a 55" TV to replace my 42" Panasonic Viera TH-C42FD18 plasma. Motion blur, black level, color accuracy/vibrance, viewing angle, and input lag are all important factors. I don't need 3D or 4K capability. Sound quality is a secondary concern, I'm okay with getting audio from a separate speaker source.

I had the Sony W800A and W950B suggested, but they get knocked online for having a bad viewing angle and not having deep inky blacks. The new 2015 Vizio M series TV's look interesting, though not much has been said about them.

Thank you in advance for any help!

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
I need help picking out a 55" TV to replace my 42" Panasonic Viera TH-C42FD18 plasma. Motion blur, black level, color accuracy/vibrance, viewing angle, and input lag are all important factors. I don't need 3D or 4K capability. Sound quality is a secondary concern, I'm okay with getting audio from a separate speaker source.

I had the Sony W800A and W950B suggested, but they get knocked online for having a bad viewing angle and not having deep inky blacks. The new 2015 Vizio M series TV's look interesting, though not much has been said about them.

Thank you in advance for any help!
YUP! The new M-series is what you want. It has the best input lag of any of the 2015 sets tested so far. Contrary to what the reviews say it actually has good motion blur when you use the correct settings. It doesn’t have great off axis viewing but really what TV does have that along with all of these other things?

Color can always be corrected for any set. None of them are that good out of the box.

Why pay more for the same or even less in some cases?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would recommend you read through some of the reviews at RTINGS.com as a first step. Secondly, I would recommend that you think about your tv priorities a bit. You've mentioned that black level, color accuracy/vibrance and viewing angle are all important. Which is most important? If you don't have a super wide seating area, I would recommend that you focus on contrast more than viewing angle. TV's with a VA panel will provide much better contrast than TV's with an IPS panel. On the other hand, if you have a wide seating area, then you might want to go with an IPS panel TV instead (IPS = wider viewing angle but lower contrast).

I was in your shoes not long ago and after much looking ended up going with a Samsung 60H7150. The 55" model is just as nice, but unfortunately, these have become scarce in the past few weeks and prices have gone up dramatically. However, the 60" version that I have is still available at Best Buy for $1300.

The 2015 Vizio M series TVs are also a good option, but I personally believe you are paying a premium for features that aren't all that critical on a 55" set. In my opinion (and just my opinion), the benefits of 4K don't really appear until you get to 65" and larger TVs. In addition, with Vizio you are paying for their local dimming solution, which is great, but a lot of people don't seem to think that the M series has enough local dimming zones to really do a great job. Your mileage may vary.

You could also consider something like the Samsung 6350 which is a nice non-3D set that has a pretty nice picture and is well below your max budget or also consider the Sony W800B or W850B TVs. When I was making my decision, I was most interested in the 60" Samsung 7150, the Sony W850B and the Vizio P series.

Lastly, I know the 2014 Vizio P series had an IPS panel in the 55" size. I'm not sure if the M series is the same way, but if contrast is one of your top considerations, then I would make sure to check this out before making your purchase.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you buy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies so far!

I called a couple local Best Buys, along with Abt, they all suggested I look at the Sony XBR55X850B. The X850B is 4K with the Triluminous pixels, but it's $1500... I suppose I could extend my budget to $1500 if the TV is really THAT much better than the ones priced around $1k. They tried to steer me away from Vizio, but how bad could Vizio really be? Though I dont want a TV I'll be itching to sell as soon as OLEDs get cheaper.

The TV is going in a bedroom, so there isn't much room for people to be at wide angles off the TV's center axis, so I don't need a super wide viewing angle.

Decisions, decisions..... Any further thoughts on all this?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also: Took your advice to look at Rtings.com, here are few models I saw that might fit the bill.

Samsung H6400
Samsung H7150 (only $900 via Amazon warehouse?!)

Rtings really liked the H6400 and H7150. The H6400 is just about $1k new, the H7150 is $1.1k new but can be had for $900-$1000 if you find a deal. Rtings didn't review the X850B, but they said they liked the 2015 Vizio M55 (although the local dimming was somewhat subpar they said).

All these TV's fall around the same price, except for the X850B which is $500 more at $1500... These TVs are overlapping too much for me to really discern what is "best".

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far!

I called a couple local Best Buys, along with Abt, they all suggested I look at the Sony XBR55X850B. The X850B is 4K with the Triluminous pixels, but it's $1500... I suppose I could extend my budget to $1500 if the TV is really THAT much better than the ones priced around $1k. They tried to steer me away from Vizio, but how bad could Vizio really be? Though I dont want a TV I'll be itching to sell as soon as OLEDs get cheaper.

The TV is going in a bedroom, so there isn't much room for people to be at wide angles off the TV's center axis, so I don't need a super wide viewing angle.

Decisions, decisions..... Any further thoughts on all this?
55W900A If you can get one... or get the 55w700b or 55x850c if you have the money

·
Registered
85 Posts
Samsung UN55H6350-7150 sets are perfect IMHO for the price range. I have the 6350 (dont need 3D)and love it. I like the Sony's but was fearful of the radial banding issues that people were complaining about. I PS4 through my set and its crystal clear on Standard setting with a tolerable amount of lag. I aint that great a gamer so another 40ms of response time isnt going to improve my K/D ratio any. I think RTings gave the 6350 80ms of lag in standard and 42ms with the input relabeled to PC but relabeling the input washed the image out so much it made it look like a 80's CRT with a bright light on it. Yuck.

Plus I think it is a good gap TV to use while waiting for this 4K/UHD/OLED curved/not curved 3D/2D crap to level out over the next 4-5 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts