AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a pretty good experience with my 50" Sammy plasma for about 3 years. We are moving and the new living room will be much brighter and I think it's time to switch to LCD/LED. The living room is larger, so I want to go up to 55".

I've seen some negative reviews about the Sammy LEDs. I can't spend thousands on a new set. My budget is about 1500-1700. Should I go low end Sony? Vizio? I will be watching sports, blu-ray movies and HD cable programming.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Sony KDL55EX500-at the low end of your price range. A very good basic 120hz CCFL backlit set with minimal bells and whistles--no 3D, no Internet apps. CCFL backlit will minimize flashlighting and clouding.

Sharp LC52LE830U--a 52" edge lit led quatron model with internet apps and built-in WiFi. Especially good for gaming as it has very fast video processing. Relatively few problems with flashlighting, especially when compared to Samsung LED sets. Also at the low end of your price range.

Sony KDL55EX620--55" edge led with internet apps but no built in WiFi (USB wifi adapter costs $80) at the higher end of your price range. Better for gaming than Samsung.

You should be aware that Vizio sets are pretty much non-repairable. If one fails during the wty period Vizio will replace it with a refurb, once the wty runs out it's a doorstop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the input. It seems like the Sonys provide a consistently good picture.

I had heard alot of good things about the Vizio's, especially b/c of their value. Did not know about the warranty/repair issue. Good to know.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am in the same boat, just a much smaller budget. Don't want to hijack, but i have a few ideas and questions.

I have seen the 50 and 55" budget Vizio models for just under $700 over on Tiger. Sure its a refurbished unit, but still...thoughts? What do you usually see fail on these TV's Steve?

Do you think for the price its worth a chance?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/c...011/public.asp

Also, I have the 42" version of the Hannspree. While it lacks some features, and for sure needed some color correction, it has been pretty rock solid... Do you guys think the 55" version would be the same?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/20877707

Sony KDL55EX500-at the low end of your price range. A very good basic 120hz CCFL backlit set with minimal bells and whistles--no 3D, no Internet apps. CCFL backlit will minimize flashlighting and clouding.

Sharp LC52LE830U--a 52" edge lit led quatron model with internet apps and built-in WiFi. Especially good for gaming as it has very fast video processing. Relatively few problems with flashlighting, especially when compared to Samsung LED sets. Also at the low end of your price range.

Sony KDL55EX620--55" edge led with internet apps but no built in WiFi (USB wifi adapter costs $80) at the higher end of your price range. Better for gaming than Samsung.

You should be aware that Vizio sets are pretty much non-repairable. If one fails during the wty period Vizio will replace it with a refurb, once the wty runs out it's a doorstop.

A somewhat different take on Vizio repairs. According to ShopJimmy.com, a supplier of TV parts, the 3 most commonly requested repair parts are:

1) DLP chip Samsung 4719-001997, which is used in over 50 different TV models across several brands.

2) Mitsubishi Lamp with Housing 996510007721. These lamps last 1,000-2,000 hours and then need to be replaced.

3) Multi-Brand Inverter Kit 996510007721. This two-part kit is used to fix one of the most widespread failures in CCFL-lit LCD TVs: sound without picture. If you shine a flashlight on the screen, you should be able to notice a faint image, indicating that the TFT screen is functioning properly, but is not being backlit.

This symptom represents inverter failure, or at the least, the failure of the inverter portion of an integrated power supply (IP) board across all LCD TVs. The 996510007721 kit is employed in several very popular 42 inch Vizio and Philips models.

According to JimmySupply, if you keep these 3 TV parts handy, you should be able to successfully fix many TV failures while in the field or at your office.

While these are the 3 most common replacement parts, JimmySupply can also provide other replacement parts for larger Vizio TVs, including some LED models.

Also keep in mind that Vizio and Samsung trade places for number one selling brand of LCD in the USA. Vizio is as reliable as the other top tier sets with a repair rate of 3% in the first 3 years.

The LCD brands to stay away from are Westinghouse (8%), Polaroid (10%), and Mitsubishi (12%).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.