AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a 55" or higher tv. Currently which tv's are the best bang for the money, in terms of size, feature and quality and with minor to no problems at all.

I currently have a 32 vizio which I am happy with, i am no videophile and don't worry about the small little details about black levels etc.

Any suggestions

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 /forum/post/20842842

I am in the market for a 55" or higher tv. Currently which tv's are the best bang for the money, in terms of size, feature and quality and with minor to no problems at all.

I currently have a 32 vizio which I am happy with, i am no videophile and don't worry about the small little details about black levels etc.

Any suggestions

With all due respect, if you think black level is a small little detail, you should be happy with the least expensive 55 inch LCD from one of the major companies, including Vizio. So, Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Vizio.

If you can find a new one that does not use LEDs, is not 3D, and has few, if any, internet features, that should save you money, and be best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
For a budget purchase, I'm very content with my 55" Philips LCD (55pfl5505d).

The off-axis viewing is somewhat poor, and display adjustment options aren't consistent across the different display modes (specifically, the overscan and zoom adjustment), which make it a little annoying to calibrate correctly.

I also find the bezel a little to thick and glossy i.e. it isn't as "sexy" as a slim LED display, for obvious reasons. This is to be expected, but I still wanted to point it out.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with the picture quality itself i.e. bright, sharp picture, vivid colours, decent black levels.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Sony 55HX800.

Costco still has them and the price is phenomenal plus they up the warranty.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about the sharp lc-60le632u at costco? Its 60" and LED and within my budget? it it any good.

And by black levels,w hat I mean was, some members here dread with it and are obsessed with small details which is important to them but may not be to me and I may very well be satisfied with something that they may not.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369
How about the sharp lc-60le632u at costco? Its 60" and LED and within my budget? it it any good.

And by black levels,w hat I mean was, some members here dread with it and are obsessed with small details which is important to them but may not be to me and I may very well be satisfied with something that they may not.
Don't know what you mean by "dread with it" but the Sharp TV you referenced seems to be a nice one.

·
Banned
266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 /forum/post/20845462

pay a little extra more for LC60LE835U. I personally think it is worth it for additional features. you may also consider 60EX720 if it is within your budget. both model comparison here, http://tv-compare.blogspot.com/2011/...l-60ex720.html

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Small little detail like black level?
I've had 4 tvs in the past few years trying to find the perfect black level and I'm still not satisfied. I only have an LH90 though, and there's many tvs that smoke my tv in black level, I'll be upgrading again soon.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The Samsung UN55D6000 or UN55D6050.

Review to the 46" counter-part:

http://www.hometheater.com/content/s...0-led-lcd-hdtv

Very accurate color reproduction right out of the box (as in no professional calibration needed). Everything can be dialed in without a meter, as the white point, grayscale tracking, and color gamut can be made near perfect with simple tweaks. Outstanding clarity, great processing, incredible light output while maintaining full white and color detail. The screen coating and filter produces a really deep looking black for an LCD set.

It also has all the goodies like "Smart TV" with apps and streaming capabilities. The 6050 version comes with a wireless USB adapter. You get a lot of TV for the money.

Only downfall is flash lighting in the corners due to the set being an edge lit LED driven LCD. This bothers some, and then others could care less. I am of the camp that doesn't even notice it unless I want to stare at it.

Remember, this is a "budget" 55-incher, as you requested. I am not sure if your budget is lower then what this TV cost however, but this set is a pretty strong contender for its price.

Good Luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.