AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade my Panny 50" 720p plasma to a 60" or more screen and was wondering what you guys thought was the best to get? I was looking at the Panny 65" S2, the LG 60" LD550, among others... Any thoughts? If going over 2k gets me a giant leap, I am open to it too...

·
Registered
316 Posts
I am really close to pulling the trigger on a 60"+ tv as well. I am considering the samsung c550 and panasonic s2. I just went to best buy tonight and watched a movie on the s2, I wasnt blown away. It looked good, but not crazy good. Same thing when I watched a c550 a while back as well. Im completely torn on what to do. I dont consider myself a picture snob at all either. I am still kicking myself for missing the killer deal on the 65" v10 about a month back on Amazon.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainedGlass
Everything will look better on the LG. Input lag is lower on the Panasonic.

If you're not a heavy gamer, LG is the way to go IMO.
What about the soap opera effect? Will the LG have that? Because that was one reason I have stayed away from LCDs in the past.

·
Registered
397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounddelux /forum/post/19540577

What about the soap opera effect? Will the LG have that? Because that was one reason I have stayed away from LCDs in the past.

It will have it but there should be an option to turn it off. Of course, if you turn it off, then you will likely have to deal with the motion issues that are inherent to most LCDs. Some LCDs let you adjust the level so perhaps you wouldn't have to turn it off completely and could find a happy medium that you are ok with. Regardless, I would be critical of any blanket statement that one tv flat out has better PQ than another, especially if the two tvs compete in a similar class/market. Its all personal preference/opinion. My suggestion is that if you like the look of your current plasma and its PQ, then you should go with the Panny. LCDs and plasmas produce two very different type of images so you should decide which type you prefer. Plasmas will excel with motion/fast-moving images, off-angle viewing, and black levels. LCDs are capable of extremely bright images (which can be useful if your room is exceedingly bright) and can also hep to minimize glare if the model you select has a matte screen (as opposed to a glossy one that many of the newer LCDs have). I've gotten the chance to see both of these tvs (though they were smaller sized models), both calibrated, and to me, it was no contest, the Panny had the superior PQ. That's just my opinion though.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounddelux /forum/post/19540577

Misread your OP. Thought you were comparing S2 to LG plasma, not LCD. My comments apply to the plasma. Know nothing of LG LCDs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts