AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to gift my 52" Sony LCD to my mom and upgrade for myself. I want something over 60". I know the vt25 gets a lot of love but the 65" version is too rich for my blood. I am not a black level purist and any new decent plasma would probably beat my 3yo LCD anyway. Don't care a whit about 3D. What should I look at?

I'm thinking plasma b/c it's better PQ for the buck. good viewing angle. I have decent light control.

I know LCD does not have the most accurate colors, but my philistine eyes may have gotten used to the overly sharp punchy image. Will it be a problem?

·
Registered
362 Posts
well you can look at the LG 60PX950 "3D" or the 60PK950, they are 60" and the price is really reasonable, plus they offer an outstanding quality for the price. only con is you are looking for something bigger than 60" so its your choice.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k /forum/post/0

I'm looking to gift my 52" Sony LCD to my mom and upgrade for myself. I want something over 60". I know the vt25 gets a lot of love but the 65" version is too rich for my blood. I am not a black level purist and any new decent plasma would probably beat my 3yo LCD anyway. Don't care a whit about 3D. What should I look at?

I'm thinking plasma b/c it's better PQ for the buck. good viewing angle. I have decent light control.

I know LCD does not have the most accurate colors, but my philistine eyes may have gotten used to the overly sharp punchy image. Will it be a problem?

I think I have decided on the LG 60PK950. I would like a 65" set but I am not sold on the panny s2 when comparing it against the PK950.

Don't think there are really any more options as I don't want 3d and I want a plasma and not an LED.

·
Registered
582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd03blown /forum/post/19644483

Neo - do you have this set? If so any feedback?

I wish. I own the Panasonic TC-P42G25. But all 3 seem to get good ratings. Really looks even. But I do think the LG might be the best deal though. For gaming Panasonic would be the best due to least IR and best lag time.

Panasonic issues. Rising blacks and floating blacks

Samsung Buzzing and IR issues

LG IR issues, reflective, lag, and reliability.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k /forum/post/19644291

I would also vote for the Panasonic 65" S2.

I own the 65" S2 and I also own a 55" Vizio LED/LCD,,, while I do feel the LED picture is a tad bit better than my S2, I gota say the S2 has an amazing picture.

I would highly recomend the 65" S2,,,, its also the best bang for the money and a 65" image cant be beat,,,, even the 63" Samsung looks small to me compared to the 65 incher,,,, that extra 2 inches of screen size that the Panny has is noticable, at least to me it is

Getting used to plasma after having LCD/LED can be done, while my LED is sharper than my S2,,, the S2 is very sharp as well.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
1,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by truquitos /forum/post/19644429

well you can look at the lg 60px950 "3d" or the 60pk950, they are 60" and the price is really reasonable, plus they offer an outstanding quality for the price. Only con is you are looking for something bigger than 60" so its your choice.

+1

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k /forum/post/19648536

Does the S2 suffer from the dreaded rising black level?

All of them suffer rising black levels it's just more gradual this year. 'Rising blacks' is by design, it not only thing they have this year. They have floating blacks as well.

The only difference between a 2009 Panasonic and 2010 Panasonic is when the rise happens.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O /forum/post/19648783

Yup you can buy the above unit and still have room to buy blu ray, cables etc etc

The unit is on sale now and my clients love the value

do all staples sell TV's? I was online and didn't see that the website had TV's. Maybe I am missing something?

·
Banned
4,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd03blown /forum/post/19649929

do all staples sell TV's? I was online and didn't see that the website had TV's. Maybe I am missing something?

Nope not all only some stores and you can order them, but as you can see in my signature I represent Staples here nationwide

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
yes the extra 2 inches really help. I went from a 30" wide screen crt TV to a 32" wide screen TV and I was like WOW!

At the time I said to myself: "I am now part of the BIG SCREEN jet set".

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo
I would highly recomend the 65" S2,,,, its also the best bang for the money and a 65" image cant be beat,,,, even the 63" Samsung looks small to me compared to the 65 incher,,,, that extra 2 inches of screen size that the Panny has is noticable, at least to me it is

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyTV /forum/post/19651240

yes the extra 2 inches really help. I went from a 30" wide screen crt TV to a 32" wide screen TV and I was like WOW!

At the time I said to myself: "I am now part of the BIG SCREEN jet set".

Here is a good site to compare screen sizes. I am trying to decide if I want a 58" vs 63". I currently have a 61" DLP and am not sure if I want to downgrade in size. Currently deciding if I should get the Panny vt25 58", Samsung C8000 58" or 63". The Panny vt25 65" is out of my price range.

http://www.displaywars.com/63-inch-16x9-vs-65-inch-16x9

1 - 17 of 17 Posts