AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to purchase a 60" rear projection LCD HDTV mainly for playing PC & XBOX games. I already have a Pioneer Elite 710 for movies. Any suggestions?

I really wanted to get a look at the Daewoo DSJ-6000LN recently reviewed in WideScreen Review. The review made it sound pretty good. As far as I know they are only being sold at Costco ($3,999) and are currently sold out. Does anyone have any experience with this set?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The best one has to be the Sony Grand Wega (new model, not old). That Daewoo has been sold out at Costco forever and no one really seems to know how to buy one.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ok, why would anyone want to buy a Daewoo if a Sony GWII 60" is only 400 dollars more and it seems to be the only 60" that anyone is talking about on this forum?

No offense to any other brands of televisions, and I think I actually have seen a Deawoo before but it was only at either Sams or Costco.... or maybe I have also seen one at K-mart

Yes, when I think of high end electronics those are the first places I go to.

Ok that being said (tongue in cheek of course) I have bought some cool electronics from Costco. But if you are going to spend 4000 dollars on a television. I really dont think that it's the place to get it.

I also want to second Rogo's suggestion that the Sony GWII is the way to go.

Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
GWII is the only way to go.

Would you buy a car made in Korea (I think Daewoo is Korean?) O.K. good value maybe but no record for reliability.

With Sony, you're buying reputation and a history of innovation. Money difference isn't enough to even think about on a purchase this size.

Even if Costco was cheaper, buy the Sony on the web for less.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

The only reason I even consider the Daewoo is because of the good review in WideScreen Review. I have not read a professional review on the GWII. The post I have read here on the GWII have not really inspired me to purchase one, although I haven't ruled it out. Does anyone have experience playing PC & XBOX games on the GWII?

·
Registered
8 Posts
 http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=25

I've been considering a GWII, but this may be a suitable alternative for an 'interim' display (while awaiting an integrated ATSC/CATV tuner), if the price is right for the performance. No DVI is a definite detraction, but with built-in Pro-Logic and VGA input, it'd probably make a good gaming display. :D I'll miss the ability to play light gun games though.:(

·
Registered
110 Posts
You may also want to consider a DLP instead of LCD (e.g., Panny 52DL52 or Samsunga 507W, 617W...)

Also verify the availability of VGA port (I know the Sony has only DVI).

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I too am purchasing a 60 inch dlp or lcd for a HTPC , PC gaming and xbox/ps2 use and have done a fair amount of research into it.

I have narrowed it down to either the sony GWII or the samsung 61 inch DLP. The samsung has both VGA and DVI inputs while the sony only has DVI. Though I assume you'll have a newer NVIDIA board on your computer with DVI, so that shouldn't be a problem. Rainbows are not as much of a problem gaming as they are when people watch a movie. Besides, the rainbows will just blend in with the various explosions anyways.

The other consideration is the resolution from the PC. I was looking at the Panny DLP and discovered that all VGA input resolutions are scaled to 800x600 except MAC16 which is displayed as 832x624. The Panny will not accept native 720p (1280x720) in the VGA port. For my PC gaming tastes, that is unacceptable. I am making a trip to my local store soon to figure out what resolution the samsung vga can support, as well as the sony GWII. If anyone here knows, please post.

I'd recommend actually viewing these monitors using a PC with DVI output while running a game to see what it would look like to you. Its much different than seeing something like shrek. Though I've seen both of these using DVI, and I personally still can't make a decision. Its never the same viewing in the store as it is at home. So, I'm trying to find a store that carries both, so I can return it for the other one if it doesn't meet my needs.

The other option, though its not 60 inches, is to go with the newer samsung or phillips flat LCD monitor which is only 40 inches for about $7,000. Might be clearer picture quality for gaming. Price will drop when the 46 LCD monitor hits the streets this spring. I'm thinking this may give a better gaming experience, because you can sit up close to the screen without the picture looking fuzzy, like in the rear projectors. If I can force myself to wait, I might hold out for the 46 inch flat LCD screen, as that would be the ultimate gaming monitor. (until they make a flat 60 inch that is...) Also, the flat LCD monitors don't have the problem of limiting the VGA input to a smaller screen resolution.

If you do make your purchase, send me a message, I'd love to hear what your gaming experiences are with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.