AVS Forum banner

Best 60in TV around 1500$ for use in the basement ? Still Plasma? Panasonic?

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Latinoheat 
#1 ·
First, is Plasma still the best choice in 2014?

If yes, which ones around 1500$ ? Panasonic?

Would be mainly to watch sports and movies and for some gaming.

Thanks!!

#2 ·
It's still early days in 2014, but as of this moment I'd easily give the upper hand to plasma as per usual. Panasonic will be hard to find given they ceased manufacturing as of December 2013 (Paul's apparently still has the ZT60 in stock for $3k, which would be my choice). The Samsung (F8500) is not a bad choice either and can probably be found for less than the ZT60.

EDIT: I see I overlooked your price limitation of $1500. Ignore my recommendations and read below.

#3 ·
For $1500, you will have decide between NIB and open box, and also the sizes.

For basement, there is nothing wrong with getting a 65 inch Panasonic S60. You could also downsize a bit and go up to the ST60.

If availability is your concern, 51 inch F8500 might fit your bill, but there is a good chance you won't need the extra brightness it brings.

...which brings to the Samsung F5300, which can also be had for a bit cheaper than the S60, but the PQ is nowhere near close.

My recommendations are either get the Pannys OB/refurbished, or get the Samsung H7000 that will be released on August. You have to really hurry though, if you want the Panny.

#5 ·
Thanks for the feedbacks.

Im now hesitating between the 65 inches S60 or the 60in ST60... Is the ST60 really different from the S60? I saw an interesting deal on the S60 in 65 inches; A demo (OB) but just for decoration of a living room in a furniture store. Apparently almost never turned on. But then I saw in the electronic section of the store the S60 and ST60 side by side with fast moving pictures, and I admit there is a difference, even for a neophyte like me.

Also KOF, why should I hurry?

Thanks again!

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB27  /t/1518584/best-60in-tv-around-1500-for-use-in-the-basement-still-plasma-panasonic#post_24377600

Thanks for the feedbacks.

Im now hesitating between the 65 inches S60 or the 60in ST60... Is the ST60 really different from the S60? I saw an interesting deal on the S60 in 65 inches; A demo (OB) but just for decoration of a living room in a furniture store. Apparently almost never turned on. But then I saw in the electronic section of the store the S60 and ST60 side by side with fast moving pictures, and I admit there is a difference, even for a neophyte like me.

Also KOF, why should I hurry?

Thanks again!

Because Panasonic plasmas are basically finished. They have ceased production. What there is right now is all that is left, so the deals will dry fast.

The ST60 has about 33% better blacks (0.0018 fL vs. 0.0024), better motion resolution (800 lines vs S60's 700, but the S60's also plagued with phosphor trailing), much brighter picture (if that matters. If you're used to plasmas, then the S60's brightness will serve just fine), and less dithering (I almost didn't buy the S60 because of that. Glad it's not much of an issue), 3D, much better calibration options, and an anti-reflective filter to make it worthwhile. If the 65 inches S60 and 60 inches ST60 are about the same price, I recommend going with the ST60, but if you prefer going with the biggest you can afford, there's nothing wrong with the S60 either. Even against the likes of the VT60, the S60 is not going to be an embarassment.

#7 ·
SIMON plasma is still best choice for lowest price best picture and motion .

2nd panasonic cease making plasma and have left the plasma technology .

3rd if you are sensitive to speed then a new samsung plasma will be best choice

4 for under 8xx you can get a 60 inch plasma samsung.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB27  /t/1518584/best-60in-tv-around-1500...nt-still-plasma-panasonic/0_100#post_24376113

First, is Plasma still the best choice in 2014?

If yes, which ones around 1500$ ? Panasonic?

Would be mainly to watch sports and movies and for some gaming.

Thanks!!

Reactions: Josh128
#9 ·
try the PN64F5500AF or the f5300 or the PN60F8500AF .

the 8000 samsung is a lcd i believe .. and lcd are inferior product .

out of the three i would say the panasonic but they are no longer being made as

panasonic cease making plasma.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB27  /t/1518584/best-60in-tv-around-1500-for-use-in-the-basement-still-plasma-panasonic#post_24400023

Yes the GT50 is still sold, only few remaining. With the same waranty as any other. This one to my eye was looking very good.

Wether you choose the ST60 or the GT50, you will be pleased, they are both excellent tv's. But I would move fast because once they are gone, they are gone. Also if you game at all , the input lag is better on the GT50 if that interest you. Picture quality you can judge for yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.