AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s the best 65 Inch OLED TV to buy today? (Around $3k tops)
I have a 55 inch LG EC9300 which I absolutely love (moving it to bedroom) and figured I’d upgrade my TV in the living room, OLED is my choice over QLED without a doubt as I absolutely love the true blacks and PQ the OLED experience provides, my EC9300 exhibited some banding issues since day one but it’s something I learned to live with.(the ec9300 has a curved display so that might be why too and it was also a time when OLED TVs we’re still fairly new)

I’d like to go 65 inch instead of 55 this time around, Is this a good time to buy a 4K TV or are 8k TVs supposed to roll out next year? Is there a better upcoming display technology or feature that ISNT present in current OLED tv’s on the market that might make me regret my purchase?

Thanks In advance

·
Registered
15,152 Posts
You can read all about the Sony A8H and LG CX (the 2020 OLED models) in their dedicated threads. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. IMO, the LG makes more sense if you are a heavy gamer, and the Sony is slightly better for upscaling and motion, which may be important to you if you mainly watch SDR (non-4K) such as most TV broadcasts. The LG already has HDMI 2.1, whereas you'll have to wait till at least the end of the year for the Sony's to get 2.1 (IMO, not really important if you don't game). There are no 8k OLEDs yet, and IMO 8k is a total waste - 8k displays are expensive, there is hardly any (if any) 8k material (major network TV broadcasts are not even in 4k, let alone 8k), and you won't be able to see much difference between a 65" 4k and 65" 8k display at normal viewing distances. But it's your money. Others can better talk about any upcoming tech, although it would likely be very expensive at launch.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You can read all about the Sony A8H and LG CX (the 2020 OLED models) in their dedicated threads. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. IMO, the LG makes more sense if you are a heavy gamer, and the Sony is slightly better for upscaling and motion, which may be important to you if you mainly watch SDR (non-4K) such as most TV broadcasts. The LG already has HDMI 2.1, whereas you'll have to wait till at least the end of the year for the Sony's to get 2.1 (IMO, not really important if you don't game). There are no 8k OLEDs yet, and IMO 8k is a total waste - 8k displays are expensive, there is hardly any (if any) 8k material (major network TV broadcasts are not even in 4k, let alone 8k), and you won't be able to see much difference between a 65" 4k and 65" 8k display at normal viewing distances. But it's your money. Others can better talk about any upcoming tech, although it would likely be very expensive at launch.
I do plan on buying the PS5 so I will game on it, why didn’t sony include hdmi 2.1 ports in their 2020 model? Is the lack of 2.1 a big deal in the Sony? Is the video processing of the Sony far superior to that of the LG or about the same?

I see that there’s a Samsung 8k tv (q900) on Best Buy for like 2500$, Hows that possible? It claims something like nanocells etc, are these just buzzwords?

·
Registered
485 Posts
So the 8K QLED’s are a joke right? I’ll look past these as I originally intended and stick to the 4K OLEDS, the question is whether the Sony flagship is better or the LG flagship. And whether hdmi 2.1 is a deal breaker on the Sony?
Both Sony and LG OLEDs are good. They are more similar than different as they both use a panel made by LG Display. When calibrated the color accuracy of both should be exactly the same, so it comes down to the processor and connectivity. Sony reportedly has better upscaling and motion processing technology than LG. The Sony TV lacks any HDMI 2.1 support and the LG has it on all ports. Sony should more accurately follow the PQ curve in HDR, while the LG will be slightly brighter in highlights. Which brand to prefer will depend on your use case, but if you are into gaming then LG is a clear winner. If into movies and watching in dark room, you might prefer the Sony. If you want to go to 77 inch size, the in 2020 models LG is your only choice, as the Sony A8H tops out at 65 inches.

·
Registered
15,152 Posts
I do plan on buying the PS5 so I will game on it, why didn’t sony include hdmi 2.1 ports in their 2020 model? Is the lack of 2.1 a big deal in the Sony? Is the video processing of the Sony far superior to that of the LG or about the same?
Neither display is "far superior" to the other. IMO, the video processing (for upscaling and motion) is slightly better on the Sony. But given that you plan to game with the PS5, I would go with the LG CX. You really can't go wrong with either choice.

·
Registered
485 Posts
LG ZX is 8K OLED, but to get it, you will need $30,000 for an 85" TV, $20,000 if willing to settle for a 77" one.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Neither display is "far superior" to the other. IMO, the video processing (for upscaling and motion) is slightly better on the Sony. But given that you plan to game with the PS5, I would go with the LG CX. You really can't go wrong with either choice.
Which has the better panel though? Better Motion Interpolation technology? Better Motion Resolution?
And why is the LG so much better than the Sony for Gaming?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Which has the better panel though? Better Motion Interpolation technology? Better Motion Resolution?

And why is the LG so much better than the Sony for Gaming?
The panels for both TVs are identical because they are supplied by LG display. The difference in motion interpolation technology and motion resolution is because LG CX uses the Alpha 9 Gen 3 video processor, while Sony A8H uses the X1 Ultimate processor. The Sony processor is better at analyzing motion so the interpolation results in fewer artifacts, as it is better at guessing what the additional frames should look like. Both panels support 120 Hz BFI, but Sony processor is apparently better at compensating for the the resulting loss in brightness.

The reason the LG CX is better for gaming than the Sony A8H is because all of the ports of the CX are HDMI 2.1, except it doesn't support the full 48 gbps bandwidth, more on this later. The Sony only has HDMI 2.0 support with eARC support borrowed from 2.1 specification.

The features Sony A8H misses out on are all important for gaming. They are variable refresh rate, auto low latency mode, and higher bandwidth to support modes with higher frame rates. The next gen consoles PS5 and XBox One Series X are both designed to take advantage of these HDMI 2.1 features. While the LG CX ports are limited to 40 gbps, that is sufficient to transmit any resolution the panel is capable of displaying. It misses out on handling 120 Hz 4:4:4 12 bit color like C9 could, due to being 48 gbps capable, but since HDMI 2.1 video cards for PC have still not been released, whether this limitation of the CX has any real world implications is not known.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The panels for both TVs are identical because they are supplied by LG display. The difference in motion interpolation technology and motion resolution is because LG CX uses the Alpha 9 Gen 3 video processor, while Sony A8H uses the X1 Ultimate processor. The Sony processor is better at analyzing motion so the interpolation results in fewer artifacts, as it is better at guessing what the additional frames should look like. Both panels support 120 Hz BFI, but Sony processor is apparently better at compensating for the the resulting loss in brightness.

The reason the LG CX is better for gaming than the Sony A8H is because all of the ports of the CX are HDMI 2.1, except it doesn't support the full 48 gbps bandwidth, more on this later. The Sony only has HDMI 2.0 support with eARC support borrowed from 2.1 specification.

The features Sony A8H misses out on are all important for gaming. They are variable refresh rate, auto low latency mode, and higher bandwidth to support modes with higher frame rates. The next gen consoles PS5 and XBox One Series X are both designed to take advantage of these HDMI 2.1 features. While the LG CX ports are limited to 40 gbps, that is sufficient to transmit any resolution the panel is capable of displaying. It misses out on handling 120 Hz 4:4:4 12 bit color like C9 could, due to being 48 gbps capable, but since HDMI 2.1 video cards for PC have still not been released, whether this limitation of the CX has any real world implications is not known.

So the LG C9 (2019 model) is even better than the LG CX which is supposed to be LG’s flagship for 2020? (Since you say it can handle 48gbps and the CX being unable)

It sounds like the benefits of these HDMI 2.1 Ports on the flagship LG are a big deal which would take the Sony OLED out of the picture entirely because why would I buy a TV that costs so much which is essentially already OUTDATED by not having the latest HDMI Ports.

·
Registered
177 Posts

So the LG C9 (2019 model) is even better than the LG CX which is supposed to be LG’️s flagship for 2020? (Since you say it can handle 48gbps and the CX being unable)

It sounds like the benefits of these HDMI 2.1 Ports on the flagship LG are a big deal which would take the Sony OLED out of the picture entirely because why would I buy a TV that costs so much which is essentially already OUTDATED by not having the latest HDMI Ports.
The CX has a better overall Picture Quality due to better motion handling and new AI picture upscaling features. Only issue with the CX is the 40 vs 48 gbps thing. Which is premature because we don’t know exactly if the new gen consoles will utilize or be the full 48. So I’d go CX for the better motion and overall PQ for movies and newer processor.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The CX has a better overall Picture Quality due to better motion handling and new AI picture upscaling features. Only issue with the CX is the 40 vs 48 gbps thing. Which is premature because we don’t know exactly if the new gen consoles will utilize or be the full 48. So I’d go CX for the better motion and overall PQ for movies and newer processor.
Why did LG mess up with the 40 vs 48 thing though? That makes absolutely no sense.. why doesn’t the 2020 LG flagship OLED support 48 when the 2019 LG OLED flagship did?

Also, is there a reason why the Sony does not have HDMI 2.1 on their flagship for 2020? (Perhaps there’s a reason I’m not aware of?) such as HDMI 2.1 not being ready for prime time..

·
Registered
177 Posts
The CX has a better overall Picture Quality due to better motion handling and new AI picture upscaling features. Only issue with the CX is the 40 vs 48 gbps thing. Which is premature because we don’️t know exactly if the new gen consoles will utilize or be the full 48. So I’️d go CX for the better motion and overall PQ for movies and newer processor.
Why did LG mess up with the 40 vs 48 thing though? That makes absolutely no sense.. why doesn’️t the 2020 LG flagship OLED support 48 when the 2019 LG OLED flagship did?

Also, is there a reason why the Sony does not have HDMI 2.1 on their flagship for 2020? (Perhaps there’️s a reason I’️m not aware of?) such as HDMI 2.1 not being ready for prime time..
Well according to LG, they said there isn’t really anything out right now or will be out in the near future that will require the full 48. You also need a 12 bit panel to fully utilize it and all the panels out now are 10 bit so they claim they’re putting more processing power towards picture quality instead. Sony will be putting 2.1 on their next Master Series OLED and they’ll charge a premium as usual

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Why did LG mess up with the 40 vs 48 thing though? That makes absolutely no sense.. why doesn’t the 2020 LG flagship OLED support 48 when the 2019 LG OLED flagship did?

Also, is there a reason why the Sony does not have HDMI 2.1 on their flagship for 2020? (Perhaps there’s a reason I’m not aware of?) such as HDMI 2.1 not being ready for prime time..
3840X2160 at 60 fps, 10 bit color, 4:4:4, is supposed to be supported by 40 Gbps.

I wonder whether the HDMI hardware in the CX really changed from the C9? It wouldn't surprise me if LG just did a little reality adjustment.

(This isn't an apt equivalence, but I recall years ago the famous 5.0L pushrod V8 used in the Ford Mustang LX. Ford revised the horsepower spec downward on it. They didn't change the engine; they just decided to be more honest about the spec.)

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
How likely is it that the panels offered by LG / Sony next year will be 12 bit panels as opposed to the 10 bit panels on their current flagship models? Because that would be another reason to wait for next year as it sounds like this whole 40/48 thing is up in the air and very unclear at the moment as well as HDMI 2.1 not being available on the Sony while being PARTIALLY available on the LG CX however limited to 40gbps due to unknown reasons and on top of all that the panels used in the 2020 flagship OLED modes from LG and Sony are 10 bit panels which you’re saying are essentially incapable of displaying the best of what HDMI 2.1 can offer? (PS5 as well as The new Gen Xbox) due to hardware limitations of the 10 bit panel itself

·
Registered
485 Posts
How likely is it that the panels offered by LG / Sony next year will be 12 bit panels as opposed to the 10 bit panels on their current flagship models? Because that would be another reason to wait for next year as it sounds like this whole 40/48 thing is up in the air and very unclear at the moment as well as HDMI 2.1 not being available on the Sony while being PARTIALLY available on the LG CX however limited to 40gbps due to unknown reasons and on top of all that the panels used in the 2020 flagship OLED modes from LG and Sony are 10 bit panels which you’re saying are essentially incapable of displaying the best of what HDMI 2.1 can offer? (PS5 as well as The new Gen Xbox) due to hardware limitations of the 10 bit panel itself
There is zero chance of being offered a 12 bit panel next year. Even the LG ZX is only a 10 bit panel. The TVs will also remain incapable of what is possible with HDMI 2.1, which is 10K 12 bit color at 120p. No TV will do that for a decade. You are making way too much of the reduction from 48 gbps to 40 gbps. The C9 can't display what it receives at 48 gbps. If down converts it to 10 bit to display it. What the CX is doing is asking the down conversion happen in the video card, and not in the TV. Does that really matter that much?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts