AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Best 7.1 Speaker System ~$1000

515 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jeffster 
#1 ·
I have an Energy Take 5 series and want to change it for a 7.1 system (6 satellites, a center, and a sub) for my HT. I'd like to keep it around a grand, so we're not talking high-end stuff, but I think I should be able to get a decent set.

Amy I wrong? One limit: the system must be available in white and wall-mountable.

Any input appreciated...

#2 ·
If not for your color requirements, I'd consider seriously the Home Theater Direct Level 3, X configuration, with an additional pair of the mains (for 7.1) which would set you back about US$1020 (plus shipping charges).

This is a very limiting factor (color) and you could very well end up ruling out some good speakers at your price point based on something as superfluous as color.

Regards,

#4 ·
Get a new wife ;) or if you don't want to trade her up, get the ones that sound the best for your budget and paint them white!

Regards,

#5 ·
Check NHT.

Jeff

#6 ·
I just did a church installation using the AR "Edge" speakers, and they were surprisingly good-sounding and well built. They come with a very elegant wall/ceiling swivel mount and are available in a nice off-white. they are $200 a pair at Crutchfield (website only, not in the printed catalog.)

Three pairs of these would be $600. You could get the AR or Sony 12" powered sub for $200-$250, and still have enough left for a reasonable center.

You'll probably have to live with black for the sub, but presumably that isn't a big WRF issue, since you can hide it under a table or something. I don't know about a white center speaker, but if your wife could live with an attactive natrural finish like rosewood or something, you should have some decent options.

Another possibility would be the Sony SA-VE815ED, which is a 5.1 system that has gotten some nice reviews. It has small, oval satellites on swivel mounts and (only) comes in a sort of silver/white that matches the Wega TVs. Even the sub is this color. It is $999 at Crutchfield and others. They sell extra satellites at $150 each, so you could have 7.1 for $1,300.

#7 ·
I'm definitely leaning toward all satellites and a sub, rather than having mains. That doesn't really work in the room (or with the wife ;)).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.