AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a seven channel amp to connect to my 49TX.

Which one should I consider. Of course money is an object but I'm going to mention them regardless.......I have B&W CDM 9NT's for the front three and B&W inwall and ceiling mounted surrounds with a B&W ASW2000 sub.

B&K REF 200.7

ARCAM FMJ P7

INTEGRA RESEARCH RDA-7

LEXICON LX-7

KRELL SHOWCASE 7

ROTEL RMB 1048 (High Current ... 8x40 Watts though)

THETA DREADNAUGHT II

Which one would you pick? Am I going to see a difference in a relatively small room or am I wasting my dinero. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I've added the Dreadnaught but now I want to choose from the list. Any opinions are welcomed regarding any/all of these pieces.

thanks mitchlampert

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Well, I cast my vote for the Dreadnaught. It's musical, open and expandable to 10 channels. I've been using mine for a while (5 channel mode) and am very happy. I have also owned the Rotel RMB 1095 and thought it was very good as well. A bit grainy on the high end and a little constricted soundstage. But it was 1/3 the price!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
The best amp:

BAT VK-6200

or personally if money becomes an issue:

The Integra Research RDA-7 co-designed by Integra and BAT

Anthony

·
Banned
178 Posts
Wow, you've got some weird comparison's there. The price ranges from alittle over a $1k to well over $5k.

1. Price no Object

Theta Dreadnaught II

BAT Vk-6200

Lexicon LX-7

2. Price is a little of a concern.

Krell Showcase 7

IR RA-7

3. Good Amps for their price.

B&K 200.7

Rotel ( i think it's underpowered compared to the rest )

I have never auditioned the Arcam.

·
Registered
669 Posts
you have too be carefull on 7 channel decisions, depending on you speaker effecency, a lot of the 7 channel amps out now that use a single power supply are just 5 channel amps streched to 7 channels, personnaly I am using a 5 and a 2 channel amp (Krell) for my 7 channels, if you want a 7 channel amp, I would look for 1 with seperate power supply"s for each channel (Bat, theta, etc), good luck in your search

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Absolutely agree Panzer, many of these multi-channel amps are little better than those in good receivers. Each amp should have a separate power supply, if you want worthwhile audio quality, this is supposed to be an upgrade, not just an upping of the number of watts. Big difference. One more amp model is the Bryston 9B-SST, can put from 1 to 5 independant amp channels per chassis. For 7.1, a 5 channel one and a separate stereo amp for the fronts works fine.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Another option is to let the receiver power your 4 surrounds. Then search for and great a 5-channel for the front 3 -> you could even attempt bi-amping your mains this way.

I did just the above -> using a Denon AVR-3801 and then replaced by an Onkyo TX-DS989 to power my 4 surrounds. I then let my EAD PM2000 5 x 400 power my front 3.

A Cinepero 3K6-III ( 6 x 400 ) is another recommendation as you can easily bridge its pairs of channels for something like 3 x 750 via a simple switch.

Then of course, a trio of used Bryston 7B-ST's would make for some great front-3 amplification.

- Andy

·
Registered
226 Posts
So does the Sherbourn 5/1500 or 7/2100 qualify in this "better option" category with 5 or 7 individual toroidals?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Everyone.

Does anybody know where/if B&K is sold in the Toronto area. I have not been able to find a dealer.

Is Rotel any good or would the AMPS in the 49TX be of equivalent nature.

I think you guys are right in that I should let my surrounds get powered by my receiver and look for something for the front 3 channels.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Mstanic, I have 49tx and I use a parasound 2205 (220x5) I use the amp the power my mains (paradigm studio 100s and cc and second zone) and the reciever powers the 4 surrounds I have been very pleased with this combo!

Bob

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Since you (and I, for that matter) are in the TO area, I find it hard to believe you're not looking at a 5B-ST, say. Three good channels of amplification, far better than most you will get, for a good locally-made price. Or any of the ST stereo amps for the front L/R, they would have to be used or well-discounted new, as the ST series have been replaced by new SST models recently.

Or even the Anthem amps, though not as good as the Bryston ones, but much cheaper. You save money by buying locally-made gear priced in cheap Cdn$, and it's pretty good quality stuff too. Rotel is good stuff, though a notch lower lower than Anthem on the sound quality scale. B&K is fine stuff, though very uncompetitive in Canada for the sound quality and price to what's made here.

Some people say Bryston is expensive, but they're in the U.S., it's lots cheaper in Canada. Just like American gear (e.g. B&K) is lots more expensive here.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mstanic,

Using your receiver for the surrounds should work fine. I use a Bryston 6B-ST for my front three (and the B&K 7270 for the surrounds and zone two).

Greg

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks cfraser....I will look at Bryston. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow to audition the Bryston, Arcam and Anthem amps.

Ultra 150 pilot, I'm glad you have a 49TX to and like the way it sounds with your Parasound.

Greg H, are you using a preamp or receiver with your amps?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Audio One in Concord (just a few minutes from the 400 exit) has Bryston and Anthem. Has some new and used Bryston ST models, besides the newest models. They don't have Arcam though.

Check out the Bryston processor if you go there, quite good, but admittedly kinda expensive (for me). The Anthem processor is nice too, at the least worth checking out for interest's sake, if not in your future plans.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You mentioned a relatively small room. Are you sure you want a seperate amp. I understand that a seperate amp will be good, but the 49tx amps will be no slouch in a smallish room. Others may have more info, but wanted to bring out the point about the room. ;)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sreeni, yes my room is relatively small so that's why I'm still debating it. The Pioneer AMPS sound wonderful but I'd like to hear what my B&W's sound like with a good high powered AMP. However, I don't want to replace the Pioneer's AMPS with something that isn't drastically better.

Does anyone know how much the ARCAM FMJ P7 costs at Audio One. What about the Anthem AMP? I really like the ARCAM but I need to hear it first.

I don't like the idea of replacing only three channels...doesn't that throw off the overall sound? I can see in the days of mono surround how that wouldn't be so important. However, all of these channels are now discrete (at least the two regular surrounds) and there's so much information going to them.

How good is the 49TX as a PURE PREAMP? If I'm going to cut off all of it's AMPS is the PREAMP section in competition with say the Anthem or Arcam PREAMPS? I know Robert George replaced his 49TX with an Anthem AVM20 PREAMP and indicated that the Anthem was soooo much sweeter.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the older Bryston ST and newer Bryston SST models is?

What to do when money IS an object.......damnt it.....gotta check my SUPER7 numbers.....20 mill folks....20 million....then I can buy all the AMPS listed above:)

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I addressed nearly this identical question on another active thread.

The 49TX was measured as producing 144 watts per channel into 6 simultaneous channels, and hitting 289 watts into 1 channel at 4 ohms. That says that the amp in the 49TX is no slouch indeed.

You are using 8 ohm speakers, rated at 89dB efficiency. A fairly easy load. You are using them in an admittedly smallish room. You are using a powered sub, and so are most likely not running the 9NT's as full-range speakers.

I strongly suspect that you aren't even coming close to taxing your 49TX's amp. Now if you are running the 9NT's in full-range mode, and at very loud volume levels, up over 105dB, then you may need more amp. But I suspect you don't really need much more current. And a 200wpc amp will only get you a little more than 1dB of extra headroom on peaks.

Some HT receiver amp sections are very wimpy. Some rated at 100wpc really start breaking down at 40-50 watts with all channels driven, or shut down into 4-6 ohm loads, or have very little headroom. The 49TX's amp is much more than this, even though it doesn't sound it offers that much more with its 130wpc rating.

In a smallish room, with your speakers, I think someone would have a very difficult time passing a double blind test between the 49TX's amp and even a $5000+ Krell.

Tom B.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.