AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My screenplay 4805 has been a good companion for many years now. I originally bought it hoping that by the time the bulb went, 1080p would be dirt cheap and bulb life substantially longer. I actually haven't used it as much as I would have thought, i had some health issues ,we moved once and i had to rebuild theatre, so I'm 1300hours on original bulb. But I have a few plasma's, and going back to watch a movie at 480p hurts sometimes. I am entertaining the upgrade, and maybe sell the 4805 before bulb does go.

That being said, 95% of what I watch is 720p. Cable, HTPC, gaming etc. So if I were to buy right now, why go the extra expense of 1080p?

I've searched here and it seems most of 720p threads are from way back. But what was the more common/popular/reliable 720p projector?

·
Registered
5,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 /forum/post/19602680

My screenplay 4805 has been a good companion for many years now. I originally bought it hoping that by the time the bulb went, 1080p would be dirt cheap and bulb life substantially longer. I actually haven't used it as much as I would have thought, i had some health issues ,we moved once and i had to rebuild theatre, so I'm 1300hours on original bulb. But I have a few plasma's, and going back to watch a movie at 480p hurts sometimes. I am entertaining the upgrade, and maybe sell the 4805 before bulb does go.

That being said, 95% of what I watch is 720p. Cable, HTPC, gaming etc. So if I were to buy right now, why go the extra expense of 1080p?

I've searched here and it seems most of 720p threads are from way back. But what was the more common/popular/reliable 720p projector?

for a good solid bargain PJ there is only two that really gets recommended around here

The Epson 705HD
http://www.amazon.com/Epson-PowerLit...1659428&sr=1-1

and

The Optomo HD66
http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD66-Pr...1659407&sr=8-1

The epson is an LCD projector and the Optoma is a DLP projector so if you suffer from hatred of Color wheels and the rainbow effect you might keep that in mind.

The Epson comes with Epsons fantastic 2 year warranty while the optoma only comes with a standard 1 year warranty. Both of them are only about $625 via amazon right now

I have the epson 705hd and could not be happier with it.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's funny that I keep hearing about Epson's fantasitic warranty, but yet there's nothing but complaints and issues here about premature bulbs, red hazing, banding etc. My 4805 has been rock solid (knock on wood) since day one. But I take care of things.

I know others do not take care of things, so I wouldn't go get a used one. Refurb from epson maybe, but not used.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you like your Sp4805, and IF YOU CAN FIND ONE. The old Infocus Sp7210 is a great 720 . I also have a 4805, and when the 7210s went cheap on woot and the bay a couple of years ago, I replaced it with a 7210. I have a couple thousand hours on it on low lamp, and going strong. The image is fantastic. They are noisy like the 4805, but a great projector. Don't think I would trade it for some of the 1080s out there now. JD

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The Optoma HD66 has that potential to add 3D if you ever want to in the future. You wouldn't be paying anything extra right now for that option later. If you do add the 3D-Xl box and a couple pair of 3D glasses, your total cost would then be about the same as a low end 1080p projector costs right now. In my opinion, the HD66 is the new 4805, in standing out as a low cost projector offering things none (or very few) others offer, while leaving out some more costly features we can do without.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 /forum/post/19676599

Best 720P (digital) would be some thing like the Marantz VP12S4, Sharp 12000 MKii and Benq PE8720.

I agree lol.

I actually don't see very many 8720's for sale... apparently people are holding on to them. Optoma H78dc3 is good as well.

·
Registered
17,353 Posts
My two cents worth .. with 1080p at the sub-$1000 level, I'd pony up the extra dinero .. after all, you may want it at some point in the future ..

·
Registered
301 Posts
okay, did a ton a research and I am about to finally put all this 3D mess to rest for those who are looking for the best bang for your buck with awesome quality in projector bluray movies and Bluray 3D. First, you do need the IR emmiter and Vision setup to make it work, and you dont need a projector listed on the Nvidea website for their requirements to make 3D work either for a projector, but it does require manipulation to get 3D to happen.

I was going for the HD66 and GT720 but was put off by the lack of features and lumens. I needed an all round projector to work in all light situations for my business as a Videographer. I bought the GT700 and was disappointed by the need for absolute darkness to make the image pop, not ideal in ambient light conditions for portable settings. A dedicated dark theatre room, maby, HD66 not portable enough and lumens to low for various light situations. HD20 not 3D although good im sure but low lumens, like 1700, not good. Let me tell you, 1080p is just not worth the extra money right now. 720p works just fine. Okay, contrast is important and lumens is crucial when displaying 3D due to darkening of image, so needed a projector bright enough and portable enough and ideal for all type light sitautions.

Took a chance on the optoma TW610ST 3D ready DLP Projector and let me tell you, awesome. Google and check out specks. 3100 lumens, 3000 contrast, and best part, you can adapt easily to any sitaution. Now since model not listed on Nvidea Site as requirement for 3D, that sucks, but there is a wrk around. Download the Acer H5360 INF file and install as a display driver. Nvision setup works like a charm. Will pass Nvision setup to make 3D work on Nvidea Card and HPC setup with IR Emmitter, which is needed. Might have to restart computer a few times to take effect. Run with DVI - HDMI cable from PC to Projector and voila, set resolution to 1280X720 120hz and you got gorgeous 3D. Must have bluray drive to play Bluray 3D.

I tried both Cyberlink 10 Software and Arcsoft TMT and TMT rocks man. Plays Blurays quietly and smooth where as Cyberlink constantly skipped. I am using both the Nvision Glasses that came with the Nvision + Emmitter kit and Optoma DLP Link ZD101 glasses and they both work fine side by side. I prefer the image from DLP Link glasses over Nvision glasses, but Nvision more comfortable in long hours. The beauty of the TW610ST is that because of the High 3100 Lumens, you can crank up the brightness and contrast to offset the darkness of 3D, which is why I love this projector. 720p resolution is breathtaking and trust me, wont tell the difference from 1080p unless you are anal about it.

I am projecting on a Duet Epson 80" portable screen and love it. Love the portability of this screen for my business. Does regular Bluray and 3D just awesome. Now I forgot to mention that i read somewhere in order to Spoof Acer H5360 INF you need to use the CD 2.9 Nvision setup Software and not the most current CD 3.2 Divers in order for the Nvision 3D setup to read your Optoma DLP projector, Not sure why but it worked great. I guess if your Projector is 3D ready you can use this setup Spoof to let Nvision think it is an Acer H5360. This is a joke to me and cant understand why they cant remedy this. But hey it works and I hope all this info will help someone sort through all the B***sh** found from people trying to figure this mess out. I had to learn the hard way by taking a chance and trial and error and lots of reading forums.

Here is Acer Driver File:

acer.zip 1.0400390625k . file

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.