AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be using a fanless case and I will need a mini ITX mobo.

I am open to embedded mobos

I want an APU that will draw as little power as possible that will also play all videos. No 4k here.

I hate the current selection of mini ITX AMD motherboards on Neweeg, hence why I am asking.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
As Tornado said. However if you do need a little more power than Pi (like if you need to run Windows for example) but nothing more demanding than video playback is required, I'd recommend Bay Trail-based Celeron/Pentium N/J models (i.e. Atom). Something like Celeron J1900 should do the trick with board and [integrated] CPU at around $100. There's not really much benefit to going with AMD Kabini or Beema (Socket FT3) CPUs (which are comparable to Atom). They're not any faster, they tend to take 5-10W more power, and cost about the same.

Even if we're talking "real" desktop CPUs, not much advantage for AMD there either. A Haswell i3 like the 4150 is only about $20 more than an A8-7600 and uses less power. The difference in iGPU between the two is unimportant for video playback. However both of these seem to be much more compute power and much more electrical power than you need anyway.

I'd stick with J1900 if you want to run Windows and you want a minimal system just for playback. There's also stuff like NUC and Brix of course. Otherwise Pi may be your ticket.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Without knowing the case, it's hard to suggest a motherboard. Most fanless cases only support specific motherboards due to the integrated heatsink.

You'll have more flexibility using a quiet heatsink like the Noctua NH-L9a or Scythe Shuriken and likely get the same result from where you'll be sitting compared to where the HTPC is located. E.g. I have an A8-3820 with a Scythe Shuriken in my livingroom HTPC and unless you have your ear next to the case, you can't hear a thing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I already have a fanless mini ITX case (Streacom FC8 Alpha) that I will use. It fits my home theater perfectly.

I saw that a company has release a Raspberry PI mini ITX mobo but I want something standard like a real mini ITX mobo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts