AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this so bare with me. I'm thinking of adding a amp to my Denon 3802. Would sound quality improve much? Any suggestions, 50% music,50% movies. Would my Denon be a pre-amp? Like I said I'm new to this. 5 channel or 2? Thanks, Daman

·
Registered
557 Posts
Daman;

I'm using a Parasound 1205A with my 3802. I picked up a used one for $700 last year off Audiogon. This amp made my Energy Veritas stand out even more.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Daman & 3ems:

I am using the Denon 3803 (rather than the 3802), and also added a Parasound amp to drive my new ACI Panoramas. So far I am more than satisfied. With Parasound, you will get excellent value and I highly recommend their amps.

Obi Wan

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have a Parsound 1500A (2 channel) hooked to a 3802, and I only notice a difference with 2 channel material at very high (I almost never go there) volumes. Still, it's a step toward separates.

-Robb

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
If you are driving 8-ohm speakers (with reasonably good sensitivity) at moderate sound levels, 3802 should be enough. However, if you are driving lower impedance speakers, listening at very loud levels with 6.1 set-up, or having some extra cash, an amplifier will be a siginificant improvement.

By the way, I am using Sherbourn 5/5210 with my Denon 3802 receiver to drive Paradigm Reference Studio/40, Studio/20 and Studio/CC set up. These speakers are 8-ohm and with good sensitivity. Denon was enough for my 5.1 set up (even was enough for 5.0 set up for quite some time until I recently bought SVS 25-31PC+) and sounded really great in fact. I just got an upgrade bug and bought Sherbourn. The external amplifier now gives me worry-free driving of speakers even at louder levels providing some feeling of extra spaciousness and I am glad that I bought Sherbourn.

Jigesh

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys, I'm ordering Rockets which are 6 ohm and the center is 4ohm. Maybe just a 3 channel amp would be enough. I thought a amp would give a clearer clean sound even at low volume.

Thanks, Daman

·
Registered
344 Posts
Daman:

A guy from Milwaukee ordering Rockets??? I would think you would extend some loyalty to the entrepreneurs located in LaCrosse and try ACI speakers. I did, and I'm glad.

Regards.......Obi Wan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.