AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am just setting up some Infinity MTS preludes ( 2towers + subs, 1 ctre + 2 towers for rear) and want to now decide on the amp area.

I have been using a Yamaha DSP-A1, which is pleasant but no rock star.

I'm looking for something that will add warmth and sparkle to the MTS's. The speakers are incredibly transparent and add almost no coloration of their own and sometimes lack excitement. From everything I've read, adding some color in the amplification stage is the way to go.

Again, from other articles, it seems that one should either go for the tube sound (something like an MF Nu-Vista 300) or one of the new digital amps (RX-Z9)...

I will also be upgrading the DSP-A1 to something more modern that I can use as a PRE and also to power the surround channels.

If I get the RX-Z9, I should be done. Alternatively I could get the 59txi and then buy some sort of stereo power amp that would add some warmth to the sound.

For reference, I love the warmth and roundness of the Nautilus 803's (that I am getting rid of due to low WAF). I also love the crystal cleaness of the MTS's -- I want to have my cake and eat it too...:)

HELP! advice requested!

Thanks

· Registered
2,684 Posts
The 59TXi has a MOSFET amp section, known for warm, 'tube-like' sound. Don't let the difference between its 130 watt @8ohms and the Yammie's 170 watt specs fool you. The Pio does meet its spec with at least 5 channels driven. I expect that when we start to see 'actual' ratings on the Yammie, the two will be very, very close.

I'd try the 59TXi alone before adding an outboard amp. It will give you the signature that you ar looking for. Add a quality MOSFET amp (like B&K) only if you feel that you need more power.

Some amps considered 'warm' can steamroll all over the detail. Neither the Pio nor a B&K will do so. Your musical taste (Infinity & B&W) is like mine. Try it! ;)

· Registered
3,439 Posts
Actually, since the Yamaha is THX rated, it has to meet its power ratings too. And I believe that I just saw a review somewhere (S&V maybe?) where it did just barely meet it's specs. I was kind of surprised because prior Yamaha amps were underpowered (but not THX rated either). THX ratings don't mean much for a lot of things, but I think it's a pretty useful standard for power amps.

Rotel amps usually are considered warm.

· Registered
2,684 Posts
Kevin,

I was with you until the 160 watt, THX Ultra2 Denon 5803 measured 105 watts with 5 channels driven, and the 100 watt, THX Select Yammie 2400 measured some 35 watts.

I'll search for the Z9 review.

· Registered
409 Posts
Check out the Arcam AVR300. You'll get enough warmth and smooth musicality for HT and music. Absolutely stellar sound quality and true power. Add the extra 2 channels to bi-amp fronts if you want more for 2 channel. But don't believe me. Go listen to one.

· Registered
1,324 Posts
If you want a warm tube-like sound from a SS amp I will suggest giving the Sunfire a listen.. You could use the "source" connection which is tailored (with a resistor) to sound like a tube amp.

· Registered
2,684 Posts
Forgot to mention that Yamaha's sound has never been referred to as 'warm,' although I don't have experience with the Z9.

As others have said, take a listen if at all possible. 2nd the Arcam. B&K and Rotel should be auditioned, as well as the Pioneer.

Folks aren't going to like this, but IMO, H/K is one that sacrifices detail for warmth, or more specifically, a very fat bottom, so as to stand-out in the big-box 'showrooms.'

· Registered
1,880 Posts
Expensive, but check out one of those new digital amps. There is a thread about them here on this forum. By all counts (& reviews), they offer the best of both SS and tube.

-Robet

· Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin C Brown
Actually, since the Yamaha is THX rated, it has to meet its power ratings too. And I believe that I just saw a review somewhere (S&V maybe?) where it did just barely meet it's specs. I was kind of surprised because prior Yamaha amps were underpowered (but not THX rated either). THX ratings don't mean much for a lot of things, but I think it's a pretty useful standard for power amps.
Well 138 watts per channel, with all 7 channels driven at the same time, is nothing to sneeze at. And also is above what's required to meet the THX specs. Also note, that contrary to what people "think", Yamaha does not claim it will put out 170 wpc with all channels driven at the same time.

And for those who were wondering where to find tested specs for it. The full "in the lab" results, report of the May 2004 S&V test of the RX-Z9. Can be found HERE

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tubeguy44...you're quite right --- I thought the RX-Z9 was a receiver which had a digital amp built in...actually it's the MX-D1 which is Yamaha's digital amp.

bubbawilly - sold! I thnk I'll get the 59txi -- i can always add a front speaker amp thereafter.

JUST BEFORE I pull the trigger - two more questions:

1) is there any other receiver that I should consider ahead of the 59txi

2) where can I get the TXi with a champagne finish as opposed to black?

Thanks

· Registered
980 Posts
According to Nousaine, amps of equal power produce indistinguishable sound.

· Registered
4,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 7Below
Check out the Arcam AVR300. You'll get enough warmth and smooth musicality for HT and music. Absolutely stellar sound quality and true power. Add the extra 2 channels to bi-amp fronts if you want more for 2 channel. But don't believe me. Go listen to one.
I agree completely. This is a terrific sounding receiver, both for movies and music. It smokes anything else I've heard in an AV receiver. It has warmth, but also has incredible detail and dynamics.

And it has plenty of power. Yesterday I was playing LOTR:TTT extended ed. in DTS ES really pretty loud (while the wife ws gone). And with my 4ohm, 86db sens. Dynaudios I still had lots of reserve.

· Registered
3,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bubbawilly
Forgot to mention that Yamaha's sound has never been referred to as 'warm,' although I don't have experience with the Z9.

As others have said, take a listen if at all possible. 2nd the Arcam. B&K and Rotel should be auditioned, as well as the Pioneer.

Folks aren't going to like this, but IMO, H/K is one that sacrifices detail for warmth, or more specifically, a very fat bottom, so as to stand-out in the big-box 'showrooms.'
bubbawilly....I agree with your assessment of the HK gear. It "sounds" bottom heavy in showrooms (which gives the impression of being powerful) but lacks some finesse in the real world. In all fairness, the last HK AVR I heard was the 7200, which is analog (and a great deal for the $800-$900 it's currently selling for). I've not heard their digital AVRs, though.

Coming from some Marantz separates (with an SR8200 AVR used as a pre/pro), some people say they exude a warm sound. It stands out as having finesse more than warmth in my opinion.

I found B&K to be more "clinical" sounding. Some people like that.

Yamaha is a bit "dry sounding" for my tastes, but good nonetheless.

Obviously, I ended up with the Pioneer which gives a little of everything ("tubey" sound, power, detail) without having one thing particularly stand out. I like it, a lot. Others, who like bottom end "bombast", may not like the sound.

The pre/pro or AVR you use will have more of a sonic characteristic than any amp.

· Registered
8,948 Posts
If by "warm" you mean tube-like, lacking in harshness, easy on the ears, and maybe with a bit of bass bloom, then you may want to consider a used H/K PA5800 (now discontinued). Read the reviews at audioreview.com and you will see what I mean. I used that amp for years and found it lush by comparison to other amps I tried and passed on, including some very high end amps - Citation 7.1, Bryston 4BST, and Marsh A200. It's not the last word in resolution, but if you want to tame bright speakers - that is the amp to look for.

· Registered
3,439 Posts
Yeah: I have Proceed, and I would characterize them as "smooth".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.