AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best 5 or 7 ch amp in the $2K range. It can be new are used.

My setup is:

Anthem AVM 20

Revel F30's

Revel C30

Revel M20's

I just need 5 channels right now, but may want to move the 7channel later. Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Used: Aragon 8008X5; Bryston 9BST; Conrad Johnson M5600; Sunfire Cinema Grand MkII

New: ATI2005 (can add channels later); Audio Refinement Multi-5; Fosgate Audionics 1000.5; Sherbourn 5210; Parasound Halo A52.

Dsmith

·
Registered
73 Posts
If interested, I would check out Audiogon for some great deals on b-stock Lexicon-branded Bryston 9BSTs.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Cinepro amps either the 2K5 MKII or 3k6 MKIII. can be had used for reasonable prices. some of the best home theater amps ever built in my humble opinion. also look them up on audiogon.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Yeah, definitely go Anthem, keep it all matched up for looks.

Get an MCA50, with mine I made all my own custom length balanced cables. It looks really cool, and sounds even better.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
i LOOKED AT EXACTLY YOUR SPEAKERS WHEN I bought mine, and listened in home to them extensively, and my problem is you can't et a 2k amp for those and be fair. It will waste yoru speakers.

If it were me and your cost to channel problem I would get a good deal on a used Dreadnaught 1 by Theta and add a rear 100 wpc module making it about 3300 bucks on a good deal. That ould be 3 x 200 and 2 x 100 for the back,but 2 k you will be getting irid of it soon.

My second shot would be temporary

1) Pass labs x5 5x125 used which is about 2500 bucks- very clean, and take advantage of your good upper on the speakers

2) Bryston the 5 channel by 120 and it can be had for 2400 new

3) ATI 1505, but your speakers are out of that range, but for the cheaper ones is one of the more neutral.

I may be able to find you an old Krell 5 channel , but it would be around 3k, but a new one. the 250 a series type, but may still be out there

It is so funny you picked the exact speakers that I came down too. I ended up staying with my prior brand because each had it's merits and were similar, but my brand saved me 1500 bucks for the whole setup, so 300 a speaker. biggest savings was center and they were identical sounding and mine was a grand, so I couldn't go for 750 more for the same sound. They are very nice though and I listeded to tons of speakers and came down to just 2 sets with similar properties. Did you listen to the F50's? what a mistake those were.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I have the same L/C/R speakers as you. I have a Sunfire GC; and have been very satisfied as far as output goes (200 wpc, 8 ohms; 400 wpc, 3 ohms); the Revels are rated at 6 ohms and drop lower than that at certain frequencies. I believe the Sunfire to be a good value if you buy used, however it has its critics (not quite perfectly flat freq response, not "dead-quiet" s/n, etc (though I can't hear that). In your situation, I think the Proceed may be the best match of those mentioned so far, as long as you don't need any support from the factory afterwards (Harmon Specialty Group has done away with the Proceed and Madrigal brands, and Levinson support apparently has been poor lately due to moving factories, etc). I would suggest that you go for as much power as you can afford, as the Revels are not particulary efficient speakers. Maybe the Sherbourne or the new Emotiva line would be the best values if buying new (that Emotiva has my interest, as I currently have a 5 channel amp and am looking to upgrade to either 7 channel or add a stereo amp. Another brand I like is Bryston, one idea would be be to get a 5 channel Bryston (9BSST) to start, then add a 2 channel for the mains later (4BSST); buying both used (I understand they have a transferable 20 yr waranty, and the new SST models are supposed to sound smoother than the old ST versions).

enigma

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.