AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ten year old (at least) Panny 5.1 Dolby receiver. It has done me well but it is time to get into the new world, especially since I recently purchased a MITS projector and 104" screen. I have done some research here and elsewhere and I am reading a lot of good things about Onkyo, especially the 605 and 805.

There are others that tout Yamaha and Sony, and Denon, and on and on. I'm sure they are all good and many times better than my old receiver. Some of this new technology centers around switching capability, upconversion, multi HDMI outputs, etc. One complaint of lower end (sr505) Onkyos is the need for audio cables as the HDMI to the tv is not pass through.

This brings me to my question. I always have the receiver on since, of course, my screen and projector do not reproduce sound. So the pass through thing is a non-issue for projector owners. Also, upconversion is done very well by the projector and I'm not sure what the advantage would be in video terms by letting the receiver do it. I don't need radio because few stations come in well out here anyway. I also don't need a phono out since my old receiver has this (if I ever use a record player again that is). And I probably won't go to 7.1 channel for quite some time as I am happy with 5.1. I use headphones a lot and looked at the Yamaha "silent cinem" headphone technology but I still don't understand it or if I would like it. And finally, I have a remote control HDMI switch that easily selects either my OPPO dvd player or my Dish Sat receiver to go to my projector. I hit the remote on my Panny to coincide with the switch box selection and I'm good to go. I know there is an extra step there but it is almost automatic now.

Given all these things, I think us projector owners might not need all the bells and whistles a lot of these receivers are providing. Speaking of Onkyo, I compared the 505 (which is much cheaper than the 605) and it would probably meet my needs - as a projector owner that is. By the same token, I don't care that much about spending a lot on this thing (although I can if need be) as my 60 year old ears don't detect the subtleties in music anymore. Does anyone have any advice for me? And for you projector owners out there, what have you found to be a good receiver and things to look for for our specific needs?

·
Registered
262 Posts
well i can tell you the yamaha slient cinema does work pretty good and as far as a receiver goes i would get one that has the latest in audio and video upconversion technology. like the onkyo 805 or the 875 should fit the bill i would not try the sony receivers. unless it is the strdg1100 or the 2100.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts