AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in Henderson, and I am currently using a cheap Radio Shack antenna, but I get signal dropouts occasionally. I also do not like the idea that I will have to adjust it whenever I change channels (once the other stations get off their asses and start broadcasting digital). I tried a cheap amplified antenna from Radio Shack, but that was worse. I have a megawave antenna on order, hopefully this will work better. Any other recommendations?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Unlike anywhere else in the nation, the four major HDTV stations in Vegas will all be on VHF, so ignore the advice anyone else here has previously given on what antenna to buy because they're thinking UHF! PBS-D(11), NBC-D(2) and a lot of other digital stations will be located on Black Mountain and ABC-D(12), CBS-D(7), and almost all the rest of the digital stations (except FOX-D 24) will be located on a smaller peak a couple miles west of Black Mountain. CBS-D is our only digital station for now. For most of us there is about a 20 degree difference in the directions of these peaks, so I think ideally you want an antenna that is directional but not too directional. I think that means a medium directional. (Speak up if you think otherwise.) The other option I see is to get two highly directional antennas and either switch between them or get (expensive?) equipment to combine them into one antenna.

The antenna I'm considering is the Antennacraft AC9 . I might first try the more elegant Megawave MTV-1, but I suspect it will require changing the direction when changing stations. These antennas are recommended by www.titantv.com for our situation. Right now I'm using the Radio Shack powered rabbit ears, and they work better than several other powered antennas I've tried, but not nearly as well as I need.

Since Vegas is a ~30 mile wide flat valley surrounded by mountains on three sides, you would think that we would have no problem getting TV OTA. Not so. The majority of Henderson up to two miles west of highway 93 does not have line-of-sight to the smaller peak and cannot receive CBS OTA, and the local CBS will deny you a waiver to get national CBS off satellite. Fortunately, the majority of Green Valley and Vegas can see both peaks. Unfortunately, the Black Mountain antennas cannot be seen on the West part of town.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator, DirecTV + 128 hour SVR-2000 TiVo

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile
It's not HD. It's HBO.
s>

[This message has been edited by Abdul Jalib (edited 09-25-2001).]

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me know how it goes with the antennacraft. I was really hoping to be able to avoid a roof mounted antenna, and our house doesn't have an attic to install an antenna in. I will post my results with the megawave here once I get it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.