AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm a newbie here and I'm not sure if I am posting in the correct category - please let me know if not! I have a question about antennas. I discovered it's possible to watch TV without subscribing to anybody's service, and with a little rabbit-ear/circular antenna (Philips SDV2270/17) I hooked up a new LG 34" tv and get perhaps eight or nine channels.

I was able to pick up a large antenna from Craigslist, the type you mount on your roof. It has a pole that should be able to turn (the control looks exactly like the one we had when I was growing up in the 70s). But mounting it is going to be a huge endeavor and I don't even know if it's functional. Somebody cut the wires coming out of the motor pretty close, so that in itself is one small task; nothing compared to physically getting the thing secured up there and running wires, etc.

So my question is this: will it be worth it? Will I get more channels with this big old roof-mounted antenna, or better reception on the ones I do get? (One of them freezes up all the time, conveniently during the FIFA world championships right when players were about to score goals).

I sure am appreciative for this forum and this community. Thanks in advance for your help and knowledge. (I'm ignorant about TV, but can help you if you want to learn a foreign language). :)

Thanks a lot in advance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi, I'm a newbie here and I'm not sure if I am posting in the correct category - please let me know if not! I have a question about antennas. I discovered it's possible to watch TV without subscribing to anybody's service, and with a little rabbit-ear/circular antenna (Philips SDV2270/17) I hooked up a new LG 34" tv and get perhaps eight or nine channels.

I was able to pick up a large antenna from Craigslist, the type you mount on your roof. It has a pole that should be able to turn (the control looks exactly like the one we had when I was growing up in the 70s). But mounting it is going to be a huge endeavor and I don't even know if it's functional. Somebody cut the wires coming out of the motor pretty close, so that in itself is one small task; nothing compared to physically getting the thing secured up there and running wires, etc.

So my question is this: will it be worth it? Will I get more channels with this big old roof-mounted antenna, or better reception on the ones I do get? (One of them freezes up all the time, conveniently during the FIFA world championships right when players were about to score goals).

I sure am appreciative for this forum and this community. Thanks in advance for your help and knowledge. (I'm ignorant about TV, but can help you if you want to learn a foreign language). :)

Thanks a lot in advance.
I believe you came to the right place :) If you can provide pics of the antenna and rotor mechanism, you may get help. Many of us here are cable-cutters. For my part, I have Dish because my wife loves her movies :)

We all had to start somewhere. The only stupid question is the one not asked :)

For my part, I have an outside antenna combined with Dish. I live approx. 50 miles from the broadcast transmitters for NE Mississippi. Outside antenna is the way to go. I looked up your Philips antenna, and it appears to be an indoor model. IMHO, for OTA reception, outside antenna is the way to go.

PS: There is no such thing as a digital-only antenna. Your antenna can receive digital TV signals. That said, you need to research what channels your stations are actually broadcasting on. A station that may advertise as being on Ch. 4 (VHF) may actually broadcast on a UHF frequency (in my case, ch. 35).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe you came to the right place :) If you can provide pics of the antenna and rotor mechanism, you may get help. Many of us here are cable-cutters. For my part, I have Dish because my wife loves her movies :)

For my part, I have an outside antenna combined with Dish. I live approx. 50 miles from the broadcast transmitters for NE Mississippi. Outside antenna is the way to go. I looked up your Philips antenna, and it appears to be an indoor model. IMHO, for OTA reception, outside antenna is the way to go.

PS: There is no such thing as a digital-only antenna. Your antenna can receive digital TV signals. That said, you need to research what channels your stations are actually broadcasting on. A station that may advertise as being on Ch. 4 (VHF) may actually broadcast on a UHF frequency (in my case, ch. 35).
Hi Phamilpin, (just guessing on how to pronounce your username) ;)

Thanks for your response. It does seem logical that a big outdoor antenna should outperform a little indoor one. The next step is figuring out how to mount it. I'll take pics tomorrow and start a new thread.

Again, thank you SO much! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Outside Antenna

Hi jujujulia,
I couldn't agree more with phmlpn! He's absolutely on the money with his response and the absolute best way to go is with an outside antenna. You'll get more channels and a better quality image since outside antennas tend to be more powerful and have more signal amplification. The other important factor mentioned by phmpln is that of your line of site and proximity to the transmitting station. The closer the better and a clear line of site is a plus. But that is where the outside antenna serves you better in that you can have it in an optimal position to receive signals.

·
Super Moderator
18,593 Posts
Please use existing threads when possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.