AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the best outdoor antenna for my situation. I live in a suburb of Detroit, which is about 15 miles from downtown Detroit. The area I live in has fairly large trees and 2 story+ houses. The towers are in areas where there are large buildings. So what antenna would be best for my situation?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, antennaweb.org said I needed a Medium/Large Directional Antenna w/ Pre Amp.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I used this site's advice: http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/usefulinfo/antenna.html

I'm in a similar situation to you. I live in a suburb of Atlanta with hills and trees around (houses are one- and two-story). Office buildings within a mile and then tall ones near the towers. I've settled on the Channel Master 4248 UHF 80" Yagi. It might be a tad bit of overkill, but I cannot complain about the results: perfect, no dropouts, 100 signal strength/quality on all UHF channels. In my case, as I'm guessing in yours, multipath was more of a problem than actual signal strength. The Yagi seemed to clean things up with its directionality so that I didn't get any dropouts (which I can only guess were due to multipath). I have it mounted in my one-story house's attic pointed straight at my neighbors 2-story house 100 yards away. For $50 delivered from Consumer Direct, I cannot complain. As usual, your mileage may vary.

By the way, I do not have a pre-amp.

------------------

-Jason

[This message has been edited by JasonATL (edited 08-28-2001).]

·
Registered
801 Posts
15 miles away from the transmitters should not dictate the use of a preamp. Please recheck the web page that indicated you need one. Most of these web page antenna suggestions don't take into consideration local terrain, such as tall buildings, local hills, or trees. They simply calculate the distance from the transmitter and use a simple formula to calculate the loss.

I live only about 32 miles from the transmitter, but there is an 1100 foot hill between me and the transmitter. They say a medium to low gain antenna will do the trick, and that is simply not true in my case.

I find it hard to believe you need a high gain antenna and preamplifier if you are only 15 miles from the transmitter.

Unless there are serious obstructions (a mountain) between you and the transmitter, I don't think you will need a high gain antenna/preamp combination.

Bob Smith

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm also in the Detroit area, about 30 miles west of the main stations in Southfield. I just put up a Radio Shack VU-120XR antenna in the attic without a preamp. It works great. I get 7-ABC, 2-FOX, 4-NBC, 62-CBS, 56-PBS, and 20 perfectly. Also get 9-CBC, 31-PAX pretty good. It is their 120" VHF/UHF antenna and I have it aimed east to the majority of the stations. I plan on getting DISH 6000 to get HDTV OTA with the 8VSB.

Steve

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am sorry for a mistake I made. When I posted 15 miles from the towers, I meant 15 miles from Detroit (using Yahoo Maps). I am not sure as to where the Towers are for the Detroit broadcasts.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
i live in indianapolis about 15 miles from the towers in heavy trees. i talked to my antenna installer about options when the trees came in and i lost signal. i have an attic antenna and was thinking of going outside. he said that in his experience this did not help. he said that the attic was better because it all came down to position and in the attic you have more flexibility. he said that even an 18" change from side to side could make a big difference since you are effectively trying to find a hole in the trees. i took his advice and went with the big channelmaster with 8 bow ties on it. i added a preamp also. i used a splitter to high pass this into the line from my regular vhf antenna. i mounted it in such a way that i could slide it laterally about 8 ft and noodled it until i found a good spot. i had a channelmaster yagi style already . my reasoning for the bowtie style is that the yagi collects signal from a vertical slice where the bowtie has a large horizontal cross section. i think this has a better chance of collecting signal. so far it is working well.

btw, i also did this for my satellite. i had two dishes rather than screw with the oval mess. when the leaves came in i lost my 119 signal. i ordered a 24" dish from radioshack ($60) and swapped it. with 70% more surface area i got my signal up from 60's to 80's.

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Why does he shake hands with that guy right after he sexed the alligator

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.