AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All -

I've been reading about projectors for several weeks now. I've narrowed down to the same few lower cost products that are grabbing attention here (Mits HD1000u, Sanyo Z5, Pana AX100, and Epson 400). I am trying to decide is which of these will give me the greatest flexibility for the buck.

While I do have a basement theater-ish setup, what I find most compelling about a projector is the potential for throwing a big picture up almost anywhere. I might want to watch a movie in the basement with the family one day, throw a football game above the fireplace another, play Oblivion on Xbox from the comfort of my bed late on a Sat night.

I'll probably put a screen up in the basement, but the rest of the displays will be on whatever big blank wall is convenient. I accept that throwing on a wall is going to diminish the image -- I'd like to determine which will take the smallest hit.

With all that in mind, I'm trying to decide which, if any, of these might work. I think the Mits is out due to lack of placement flexibility. I think the Sanyo is a bit short on light output to handle whatever I might throw at it. The Pana and the Epson seem like the best bets, with the nod going toward the Epson because I'd rather keep more money in my pocket than put it in someone elses and the price differential is a good chuck of a replacement bulb.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
For your situation my vote would go to the 400, or as gwlaw99 suggested the imported tw700. Of course, the AX100 would work as well, but is more expensive.

The advantage of the 400 is the local, next day replacement warranty. The advantage of the 700 is longer zoom range ( 2x vs. 1.5x ), better optics, better contrast, and brighter. Both have the same extensive lens shift range ( more than the AX100 - so that might be a consideration for the 'flexibility' request ).

Jonathan

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did some quick checking -- the tw700 seems to be the same as the U.S. Epson TW810. This unit looks to be quite a bit more expensive (way north of $2k), so I think that's not going to be a good fit.

I think that at this price point, the buyer has to find the right combination of compromises. The TW400 seems like a decent mix -- brighter than the Sanyo Z5, more flexible than the Mits 1000, less expensive than the Pana AX100. And it can be purchased at a pretty good price from a big store with a 90 day return policy 00 plenty of time to determine of it is a good fit.

I'm going to reread the TW400 thread a bit more carefully...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.