AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll soon be getting the Panny 42" EDTV and would like to know which aquarium DVD will give the most realistic, lifelike appearance. I told my wife the whole screen would be like a real aquarium and I don't want to disappoint her.

Thank you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The only one I can think of is the Finding Nemo DVD. There's an aquarium feature included on the disc. I'm interested to know if there are better DVD's out there for this purpose. Also, does anyone know of any "visualization" DVD's, so I can turn my PDP into a digital rave?:D

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
robbie, thanks for the links. DVD International also has their own website, (IIRC, www.dvdinternational.com ) where they sell all four of their aquarium videos for $20 + postage. They also have a "free" sampler ($5 postage) that demos the aquarium DVD's and some other, similar screensaver-type DVD's showing scenes from space, burning fireplaces, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by steuert
robbie, thanks for the links. DVD International also has their own website, (IIRC, www.dvdinternational.com ) where they sell all four of their aquarium videos for $20 + postage. They also have a "free" sampler ($5 postage) that demos the aquarium DVD's and some other, similar screensaver-type DVD's showing scenes from space, burning fireplaces, etc.
steuert, thanks for the link.:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Those were some great suggestions...I just ordered the virtual water...I've always wondered where they got those aquariums on the plasmas short of hooking up a PC and using a screen saver...

By the way, Davis, how do you like the Roku... I assume you have the HD1000? Or anyone else who's tried it? I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about it...can you use it like a digital music receiver?

I know this forum isn't really the place for it, but I'm going to use it on a plasma...so it's a stretch.....

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Odessit
Try http://www.serenescreen.com/

DVD is not ready yet. You can run using computer.
I would like to, but I've read that the best resolution for an EDTV set used as a PC monitor is only 800X600 (SVGA) -- which, if I understand it right, would not produce the desired sharpness on a 42" set. Please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Check out Coral Reef in HD on the WMP9 format. Simply amazing and will give you either 1080p or 720p depending on how fast your computer can run it. If you don't have a computer hooked up to your TV, then the new DVD players that are WMP9 ready can also play this HD dvd.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I started this thread and would like to summarize what I have found so far.

First of all, no one has answered my question directly, evidently because no one accessing this thread really knows. So I'm still waiting.

From the suggestions in this thread and from what I have read on the Internet, it seems that the best Aquarium DVD for a 42" ED plasma currently available is "The Complete Aquarium Collection" -- a 2-discs set dating from 2001 that includes five different aquariums. Price ranges from $18. on E Bay to $23. I've read all the pros and cons I've been able to find and there is no complete agreement, but the pros tilt the balance in favor of this set.

SereneScreen probably has the best PQ on the subject, but no widescreen DVD yet.

·
Registered
123 Posts
First of all, no one has answered my question directly, evidently because no one accessing this thread really knows. So I'm still waiting

Don't hold your breath! Seems like a some nice people went out of their way to help you and your comment is in poor taste.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am truly sorry.

I should have thanked everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Because the comments and suggestions have been very useful in my search. I could explain how but don't think it's needed.

Sorry.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.