AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
For Win 95, 98, ME, NT and Win 2K I use Dimension 4.

You can get it from my server. ftp://ftp.vew.net/pub/ssh

Win XP automagicly uses NTP to set the clock however it only updates once a month which is not nearly often enough. I don't know how to increase this value either. Dimension 4 will not work with XP at all. I let my X-10 server update the clock once every hour.

·
Registered
435 Posts
W2K has a built in command to sync with atomic clocks. Search for "net time" on Google groups for information on how to set this up. I can't remember the parameters offhand but there were several good articles on Google that described the process. The W2K "net time" command runs as a service and can be setup for whatever frequency updates that are needed.

As mentioned before, WinXP does this automatically but underneath the covers it is still probably using the "net time" command. So XP's update frequency can probably be changed by manually running this command (disclaimer: I have not tried this on XP yet). XP's default once a month update SHOULD be good enough for all applications save scientific or engineering ones though. The computer's internal RTC (real time clock) is not the best but loses on the order of seconds and not minutes per month. If all you're doing is scheduling recordings, being out a few seconds shouldn't be a problem. The broadcast networks are not that great at sticking to times themselves.

Cheers

Lester

·
Registered
389 Posts
Actually, my (our) mistake: Tardis is shareware and costs $20 for a single license. Looks like I'll be switching to Win2k's system!

·
Registered
957 Posts
There's a free, neat, skinable clock which syncs to time servers called Beatnik clock.

It's available at http://somedec.com/

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I've been using AboutTime for years now. It is free, and stable.

- Tom

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I find it amazing that $100+, hi tech motherboards can't keep time as well as a $15 Wal Mart special quartz watch ;)

My CuSL2C goes off time by *minutes* every few months.

I think I was using Cliff's "Atomic Clock Sync", from http://www.worldtimeserver.com/atomic-clock/ , (is this the one?), late last year, but it was having trouble auto running and auto-setting the time, and also trouble trying to find the time servers.

I'll give it another try...

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I thought XP clients sync'd to their domain server on every boot? Mine seem to, though I might have just been hallucinating or something.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Dean,

I don't know about XP for sure. 2000 workstations sync to their PDC (actually a NT2000 workstation will not sync via NET TIME to anything other than a PDC if it's a member of a domain). They sync on boot. They then sync in about 8 hours. If I recall correctly they then stretch the time out farther. The time service must be running for this to work.

This is fine for regular desktops as time doesn't have to be "atomic clock" accurate. Most add on programs will sync more often and allow you to sync to other than a PDC. If you want dead on accuracy the ntp program I linked above will get you there.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I googled this:

"net time /setsntp: server_list

There are several SNTP time servers run by the U.S. Naval Observatory that are satisfactory for this function, for example:

ntp2.usno.navy.mil at 192.5.41.209

tock.usno.navy.mil at 192.5.41.41 "

Anyone have the IP of an atomic clock?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by puckalicious
I googled this:

"net time /setsntp: server_list

There are several SNTP time servers run by the U.S. Naval Observatory that are satisfactory for this function, for example:

ntp2.usno.navy.mil at 192.5.41.209

tock.usno.navy.mil at 192.5.41.41 "

Anyone have the IP of an atomic clock?
I beleive those are stratum 2 time servers. Extremely high in the time server order.

You don't want/need an IP for an atomic clock. It's an internet time server (which ultimately get's its time from an atomic clock) that you need.

I use Tardis . Yea it's shareware, however, if you install it, it has a nice long default time server list.

I also highly recommend reading about Network Time Protocol (NTP) , to get a full understanding of what's going on.

Enjoy!

-anders.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.