AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the forums to chose from I just took a stab and entered this here.

I've been upgrading my older Yamaha system (24+) over the last year. Currently have a RX-V775 receiver, kept the MX-1 amp, a CD-600. Are far as speakers I upgrade the previous Polks (same age) w/ new pair RT1 A9 main speakers, A6 center and PSW 505 sub. Set-up is in great room. Have Samsung HD-TV but no surround speakers. Just purchased a new Yamaha BD-A1040 Disc player.

The question I have is what is the best audio connection and settings for the best sound w/ set-up above? Would it be better to use the HDMI for audio or the Lt/Rt audio out connection? I was thinking while researching awhile back that it would be best to use the 2-ch output in pure direct mode, or some other setting, and let the receiver do the processing? For movies I would like to get the rear surround processed through the two main speakers. I've been studying the manual but now confused and frustrated!

Thanks!

Blue

·
Registered
12,857 Posts
If you do any processing, including room correction or surround-sound modes, then you need to convert the signal to digital. Given that, you might as well run HDMI into the AVR and eliminate one ADC in the signal chain. As for running pure direct, I have done that, but feel room correction far outweighs a reduced signal path. Of course, I also know what the signal path looks like when a recording is made, and adding a little processing of my own seems like no big deal. :)

IMO - Don

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
+1

Since you have an AVR, send everything there via HDMI and let it decide. It'll have a selection for 3.1, and will send surround information to the front speakers.
Frank

1 - 4 of 4 Posts