AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a new HT setup and pricing out components and I'm trying to figure out what receiver to get. Most receivers that I see have a lot of video capabilities but I really don't see the benefit to that. I'll have a new aquos TV with all the inputs I'll need and the video options for receivers seem to cost a lot.

So having said all that what are my best choices in the sub-$1000 range? I'm looking at spending $4000 total, so about $3000 will go to speakers (already have another thread about that).

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I believe the Outlaw 1070 has fewer video options than other receivers in that price range. You probably pay more for a receiver that's not mass produced, but less (supposedly) because it's not heavily advertised.

I have never heard one, but there are some reviews online of it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you don't need the latest in video switching, try NAD or used Marantz receivers. They have stellar sound quality, and receivers without the latest video tech tend to go for very cheap. They're a great deal. The new Marantz receivers have the latest HDMI switching, but I haven't heard them so I can't reccomend them.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Nad T754

·
Registered
87 Posts
I talked to a respected audio journalist, Mark Fleischmann (writes for Home Theater Magazine among others), about this and he's been using the Rotel RSX-1067 for almost a decade as his reference receiver. He said it is the best sounding receiver he's ever heard.

Subjective? Sure, but if you're going to listen to one person's opinion, it may as well be someone with a solid CV.

Btw, there's one on Audiogon listing for $900.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.