AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to replace my Marantz 8001. My budget is about $2500.00 give or take. What is considered the best sounding AV receiver out there? I am not looking for separates.

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
398 Posts
For your budget you're at the flagship, or near flagship, level of most brands. Probably any of the near-flagship models from Denon (4310 or 4810?), Integra (DTR 80.1), Rotel (RSX-1560) or Yamaha (RX-Z7 or Z11 - Z11 is getting "long in the tooth", but has great amps) would do the trick!

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Marantz sr8002

·
Registered
313 Posts
Personally, I would go with the Yamaha RX-Z7 or the Denon AVR-4810ci, depending on whether I need 7 or 9 channels of amplification.

Also, you're definitely into the range where you might consider a separate amp if you have a large room and/or inefficient/low-impedance speakers. In terms of features, AVRs pretty much top out around $1500 (street price), with additional dollars going toward more/better internal amps.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't need more than 7 channels, and basically I really only need 5.1. It is for my family room. I have a dedicated HT with separates. I wanted to get a top notch receiver and a good amp section with as much power as I can get.

What do you think? Also any reason against the 80.1?

Thanks,

Ken

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
For that budget you should be able to fit in the DHC 80.1 and an Emotiva XPA-5. That combo would run circles around just about any AVR without external amps. The Integra DHC 40.1 might be a consideration as well. The DHC 40.1 + XPA-5 = ~$1800.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

I would place a vote for the Onkyo TX-NR5007 which is available for far less than 2500 Dollars from Newegg even though the retail is right at 2500 Dollars.

The 5007 offers every current feature out there, an excellent Video Processor,

32 bit Chipset, high powered amplifier section, Internet Radio, Ethernet Firmware Updates, and much more.

I honestly think only Denon's AVR-5803 comes close and costs much more with the AVR-4810 not offering as much functionality.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
If you like the integra 80.1 get that.It sounds like you want to be convinced on that model.But most will suggest what "They Like",which i'm sure are all good choices.One of the posters asked you an honest question which is what you dont like or like about your marantz 8001.If you like the marantz as i do and as alot of others do also then maybe you should atleast take a look at the marantz sr8002.You have alot of options but your the one who is going to have to enjoy it.And i dont think there is a "best of the bunch",matter of taste or likes.

Another thing is you may want to let everyone know what speakers your going to be driving,could help.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken6217 /forum/post/18249964

I got to ask this question. Why isn't anyone pushing the Integra 80.1? I'm am not decided on anything but curious as to why no on is recommending this?

Thanks,

Ken

Possibly because there's not enough of a difference between the Onkyo's and Integras to warrant the price difference. Also may want to see if Marantz is coming out with anything to replace their 7002/8002 models. Two years seems to be their practice.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken6217 /forum/post/18249964

I got to ask this question. Why isn't anyone pushing the Integra 80.1? I'm am not decided on anything but curious as to why no on is recommending this?

Thanks,

Ken

I have an Integra but often recommend the Onkyos. To answer your question, comparable Onkyos appear to have nearly the same features, but cost less and less it what most people on the forums seem to want.

Me personally? I like the Integras because you get a longer warranty and you buy from a dealer as opposed to a store. Dealer = personalized sevice, at least IMHO.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Pioneer SC-27. After reading this review I was more than impressed with it's abilities.

I have read a ton of his reviews and I have never seen him write up an AVR like that. He usually has a few complaints about something. His complaints on the SC-27 were for uses that 95% can't use anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can really recommend the Integra (got 70.1 myself). Had Marantz before (SR7500 & SR6004) but changed to Integra and I will NEVER go back. With the Integra I lost allmost none of the defined resolution from Marantz, but I got so much more power and energy.

/Ash

·
Registered
3,786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/18250548

Pioneer SC-27. After reading this review I was more than impressed with it's abilities.

I have read a ton of his reviews and I have never seen him write up an AVR like that. He usually has a few complaints about something. His complaints on the SC-27 were for uses that 95% can't use anyway.

Ummm. Your link is to the Onkyo 706 page.

·
Registered
14,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken6217 /forum/post/18254305

I ended up going in a different direction. I got an Arcam AVR 600.

Ken

Ken,

Thats going in a very good direction
. I would be interested in your thoughts of the AVR 600 in comparison to the 8001.

Bill

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.