AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an avr based on ease of use with networking, pandora and an iphone wifi app to act as a remote. Its not for critical listening. I was looking at the following models and was hoping somone who has used these features could say if they are intuitive. The wife and kids need to be able to use them without my help.

Yamaha RX-A1000

Marantz SR5006

Denon AVR-1912

Pioneer VSX-1021

There is an authorized support center near me for all these manufacturers but not Onkyo so that is why I left them out. There does seem to be reason for concern about Denon's network port issues so I am keeping that in mind. My budget max's at $1,100.

thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you already own a receiver you like: why not just use of the many standalone media streaming devices out there? They start at around a hundred bucks, and move up to more than $1,500 if you want very high quality sound.

Around a hundred dollars, the Grace "Solo" - http://www.gracedigitalaudio.com/sol...amer-p-94.html

The $2K Yamaha NP-S2000 - http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...00/?mode=model

I don't know much about their iPhone compatibilty but personally using the remote that comes with the standalone seems easier to me than having to hunt for your phone every time you want to listen to something along with hoping it is charged up enough to do that.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've had a squeezeBox for a few years. It's a quality product and can (aside from streaming from their free media server) also access a variety of online content (including Pandora and Rhapsody). Mine supports both Wifi and hardline.

I asked a similar question a year or so ago since I was looking to consolidate the number of components I (well, really my wife) has to deal with and it was suggested that, while the amps do have the functionality, the UI is not as good as the SqueezeBox's. There are also iPhone apps for controlling your squeezeBox.

Having said that, I just got marketing email from NewEgg about the A1000... I'm finding myself seriously considering something from that Yamaha line.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
By far, the Integra series. 40.2 or 40.3. If Pandora or any other Internet Radio feature like Napster, etc. is your game than I highly recommend the Integra line. Oh, maybe I should mention V-Tuner! I get up to if not more than 1,000 Internet Radio stations from around the world. Not sure about the I-phone app though.

Jeff

·
Registered
498 Posts
The handling of Internet radio is pretty good on all the models you listed. From experimenting with the apps of a few different brands, IMO the Pioneer has the best iPhone/Android app of any receiver. The Pioneer app is more complete with functions, and the app GUI is more appealing. I would suggest a Pioneer Elite, if comparing to Adventage and Marantz receivers.

The Denon/Marantz app is what I use with my receiver, it certainly works but it doesn't look nearly as good. Pioneer, Denon, Marantz will of course have air play on this years models if that is of any importance. I do have tons of internet radio and absolutely no networking issues on my xx06 model Marantz. Finally, I am told that Pioneer Elites are one of few receivers that will charge an iPad with the front USB while playing media.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/20842923

^^

A smart phone can be used anywhere in the house to operate the AVR (especially nice if the kids have the AVR volume turned up too high or when outdoors controlling Zone 2 audio) while the stock remote must be right in front of the AVR.

Good point, I did not know they could do that.

I guess everyone knows there are thousands more "radio stations" on the web besides big names like Pandora and Rhapsody? Though they usually stick to one category of music like a conventional OTA commercial station but the music is usually much better. I am a member of Pandora btw for three years and like it for the variety.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutfan /forum/post/20847884

Good point, I did not know they could do that.

I guess everyone knows there are thousands more "radio stations" on the web besides big names like Pandora and Rhapsody? Though they usually stick to one category of music like a conventional OTA commercial station but the music is usually much better. I am a member of Pandora btw for three years and like it for the variety.

I knew about thousands of TV stations via C-Band and several hundred radio station via C-Band as well. Wasn't aware of the many radio station via V-tuner (or maybe I just didn't have the interest?!)until I hooked up a LAN cable to get Pandora. Pandora is awesome, no commercials and you get to pick what you want to listen to. I know of only one OTA radio station, at least in northern AZ that plays with NO commercials, it's hard for me to get unless I put up an antenna because of the mountains.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/20849645

The latest and greatest that just came over from Europe is "Spotify" and like Pandora, if a monthly subscription is played there are no commercials.

I have listened to Pandora via my Integra since March (not all the time mind you) and haven't had one drop out or not one commercial. Even for the $36. for the year, it's still a deal! But I haven't subscribed yet.

Jeff

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all the feedback

I don't already have a receiver and I am not interested in the Apple connectivity options. With that said I must admit I am leaning towards the NR-609 even though I wanted to stay away from Onkyo. However, the price from Newegg is so good that I just can't help myself. Its cheap and it has everything I need. It seems worththe risk; I know people who have paid more for an iPhone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.