1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for the best receiver for under $400 that has the following:

Supported channels (7.1)

At least 3 HDMI 1.4 Inputs

Decoding for all common codecs (TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, etc.)

At least 4 AV inputs (composite)

At least 2 Component video inputs (would prefer 3)

At least two digital audio inputs

HDMI 3D Support

Analog to HDMI (with 1080p upscaling)

HDMI to HDMI upscaling

HDMI pass through

Are any of the Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, or Marantz systems in my price range able to do all the above?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll definately check those out. Any thoughts on the Pioneer VSX-1020 or the Yamaha RX-V667? Not sure if those can be had for $400 or not. I've heard good things but have yet to research them. Any comparison charts to be viewed?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargod /forum/post/0

I'll definately check those out. Any thoughts on the Pioneer VSX-1020 or the Yamaha RX-V667? Not sure if those can be had for $400 or not. I've heard good things but have yet to research them. Any comparison charts to be viewed?

Those are both good options under $400.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/19622175

Those are both good options under $400.

I'm about to pull the trigger and get the Pioneer 1020K. I think it should suit my needs for now even though the HDMI pass through may have issues with certain components.

·
Registered
444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargod /forum/post/19622226

I'm about to pull the trigger and get the Pioneer 1020K. I think it should suit my needs for now even though the HDMI pass through may have issues with certain components.

I'd up the budget a bit and go to the 1120. Or if you don't need 3D look for some closeout deals. I believe the power supply on the 1020 or at least the power consumption went down quite a bit from last year.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by intence /forum/post/19622354

I'd up the budget a bit and go to the 1120. Or if you don't need 3D look for some closeout deals. I believe the power supply on the 1020 or at least the power consumption went down quite a bit from last year.

In your opinion is the 1120 worth the extra $140 or so over the 1020? I plan on holding off getting a 3D TV for at least a year. Does that time frame justify spending over $400? Does it justify getting a 1.4a that's decent quality, or should I go for a 1.3a that is better quality at a closeout price? I can up the budget, I just need to be sure that whatever system I go with once I do go 3D that it will hold me over.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wargod
In your opinion is the 1120 worth the extra $140 or so over the 1020? I plan on holding off getting a 3D TV for at least a year. Does that time frame justify spending over $400? Does it justify getting a 1.4a that's decent quality, or should I go for a 1.3a that is better quality at a closeout price? I can up the budget, I just need to be sure that whatever system I go with once I do go 3D that it will hold me over.
That's a difficult question. If you're definitely going 3D, then get something with 1.4. IMO, you're paying more on the 1120 for more than the better video processing and Internet features, more importantly it weighs significantly more, and likely has a more robust amplifier/power supply. For me personally, I would choose a receiver as follows:

1. What features *must* I have .. In your case probably 1.4

2. Get the one with the most powerful amp (going not by watts, but also looking at the power consumption ratings and weight of the receiver).

Going by memory, the 1120 is just shy of 30 lbs. I think the 1020 is closer to 20.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a little more information about my setup:

Components

Sony DE-697 running a 5.1 setup

Toshiba 52HM84

PS3

Xbox 360

Wii

Xbox

N64

Dreamcast

Slingbox solo

Motorola DCT-2224 Cable box

Harmony 880 Remote

Comcast Cable service:

Digital Starter Package with high speed internet is costing me $110 a month. I need to see what can be had as far as DVR, HD, and on demand.

Channel line up:
http://www.comcast.com/Customers/Clu/ChannelLineup.ashx

Performance internet is supposed to be 12 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up.

No HD channels. No DVR.

I was thinking about getting the following for now:

-Apogee HDMI 3x1 Mini Switcher

-Cables To Go 40324 3-Play Component Video and TOSLINK switch

-RCA VH915 Audio / Video Source Selector Switch Box

Total for 3 above is: $77 shipped

Is there any reason to update my receiver given the fact that I don't have HD cable service and a 3D/1080p capable TV? Would it make more sense to hold off and just buy the VSX-1120 receiver,3D TV,3D blue ray player, and upgrade the cable service with DVR and HD at that time? I'm thinking this setup below (mad wiring skills here people
) may be the better option for now until I purchase everything. Thoughts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts