AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I wanted the sp-pk52fs speakers minus the sub , but adding pl-200 bic acoustech. So i wanted to know the best avr under 800$

I didnt try any ,and i cant (

Will the power rating differ in quality?

What is generally the best avr in sound quality.

Thx

·
Registered
29,106 Posts
No such thing as one best AVR. You get the AVR that has all the features you want or need. $800 will buy you a lot of quality.

You said you cant try out any AVR's? Does that mean you have to buy online only? Can you go to any stores and make a local purchase?

Your balance of speakers vs receiver is backwards. You should spend twice as much on speakers as the AVR. But since its sounds like you've already purchased your speakers, what's done is done.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
With those speakers I really don't see the need to spend that much on an avr. You should be able to get something quite adequate for half that amount. And this isn't a knock on your speakers. They're highly rated at a budget price. You just don't need a $800 avr to drive them. Something like a Yamaha Rx-473 for $300 from Amazon would work just fine.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I take the "rule" that an avr should cost half as much as your speakers with a grain of salt. It is all about desired features vs price you want to pay for them. Often times desirable features such as preouts, higher level of room correction and good video processing are not available on lower end, lower cost avr's. Also, in the OP's case, he is asking for recommendations up to $800, does that mean MSRP or street price. The onkyo 809 for example has a MSRP of $1099, but is available on amazon as of this post for $514.60...does this lower price now diminish the value of this avr? or make this avr unsuitable for higher priced speakers. What about speaker MSRP? what if your speakers have an MSRP of $2500, does this mean because the onkyo in my example above is available for roughly $500 that it is not "good enough" for these speakers. What if those $2500 speakers were on clearance for $800, now suddenly the onkyo at roughly $500 is now "good enough" or maybe even "overkill"? Nothing changed but the price...

Going by the "rule", what if i wanted to run a 11.x set up with my lowly polk monitors...the denon 4311 or 4520 or the upper end onkyos would all be priced too high to be "suitable" for my budget polks....i think this is ridiculous.

I think a better rule of thumb is to decide what features you desire and then decide how much you want to pay for those features. Speaker costs vs avr costs ratio is a distant secondary determination factor, at least for me anyway..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah thx guys , sorry long day at college .

I didnt buy the speakers yet, im still deciding .

Since i am a noobie i will agree on buying a cheap amp for my cheap speakers.

And i cant try cause im in saudi arabia (complicated ).

So plz suggest a good amp i was thinking about pioneer elite .

And for that matter dont hesitate to suggest speakers.

Thank you , and sorry for the late reply

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Btw 67jason , i think u were spot on , as i knew the rule before , but was going for features of the reciever.

This is my going to be my first purchase for a compnent HT system.

For speakers i want a warm and very tight base .

For the sub i want it loud and tight.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
As far as receivers are concerned, at any given price point I doubt if there's much difference between brands. Get whatever receiver has the features you want, at your price. For speakers, you're going to need to give a budget, and perhaps some of the brands available to you.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Deleted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.