AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, looking to get something new for my theater system for my birthday.

Currently have a yamaha rxv740 receiver paired with a set of Klipsch RB-25 speakers. I have a couple ideas. First I was thinking of getting different speakers. I was looking at the PSB B25 or possibly T45 speakers. I was also looking at the Monitor B4's, and finally contemplating a SVS PB10NSD.

Whatever I choose I would like to keep for several years so I am not sure what the best bet would be. I spend the majority of the time either watching movies or gaming so it wouldn't be used much for music. If I eventually got the svs sub could I get away with the B25s instead of the T45s? If I went the the T45s would I get a lot more low end than I currently due with the Klipsch speakers(that it would make up for a lack of a sub for another year or so)?

I take it either of the PSB speakers would be a decent step up from the Klipsch correct?

thanks for the info,

Troy

·
Registered
775 Posts
Since you don't have one yet, I suggest you get a good subwoofer especially since you watch movies more than listen to music.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input.

I was also wondering...would my receiver even have enough power to drive any of those speakers? I know they are all 6 ohm, and from the researching I have done it seems many people are saying to stay away from speakers than are lower than 8 ohm on the lower yamaha receivers.

thanks again

·
Registered
775 Posts
That's completely fabricated. I have a Yamaha RX-V659 which is a lower receiver than yours and I drive Paradigms which are virtually 6 ohm. People who bash Yamaha rarely ever speak from actual experience. I don't know what you're reading, but I've never read any professional review on any Yamaha that implies that they run short on power vs. the others at any price range. But don't just take my word for it, click on this link for CNET's review of your particular receiver. http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers...-30420008.html

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't referring to any professionally reviews, just what I read on different forums. I found it odd because I am almost positive I remember reading a review for it in an HT mag where they tested it and it came out to spec, but I can't remember the mag or find that particular review. Thanks for the cnet link.

edit: I don't want to have multiple threads going so I thought I would add this in here.... Has anyone ever delt with audioexcellence.com? They have much better prices on Energy speakers than Audio Authority (ex. C-300 for $187 instead of $250).

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I own PSB T45's and B25's...Their sound is more refined than current Klipsch in their price range. To me it is a step up. But, don't expect them to give you alot of bass for movies and gaming, you will need the sub. SQ on these speakers is excellent especially for their price, and some on-sale price found on the net. If you can step up to T55 or T65 you will get more bass, but that is $200.00 to $350.00 more than getting T45's.

I also use to say the same thing, mine will be used for movies and gaming 'cause I don't hear much music. Well, after getting the PSB's about 40% of my use has become music. That's how good music sounds in these speakers. Movies and games sound awesome too, but with a sub. I have an old 8" 50W that is being replaced by a HSU VTF2-MK3 I ordered this week.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thing is though even if I did use it for music I don't think what I listen to would require any fancy speakers...not a jazz classical guy at all. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halvie /forum/post/12877111

Has anyone ever delt with audioexcellence.com? They have much better prices on Energy speakers than Audio Authority (ex. C-300 for $187 instead of $250).

Beware.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store...Excellence_Inc

I generally stay away from online stores without a Reseller Rating, because it shows to me that they are not an established vender, and thus their track record is totally unknown. Plus the only person who has written a review, gave it a poor one.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halvie /forum/post/12878246

Thing is though even if I did use it for music I don't think what I listen to would require any fancy speakers...not a jazz classical guy at all. Thanks for the input!

I hear everything: 80's, album rock, heavy metal, alt, trance, latin, jazz, etc.

The T55 or T65 would suit you better, but out of your budget. If I was in your place, and considering your tastes, you would be better off with JBL.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ninefivezero thanks for the heads up!

upscaleaudio.com has the T5 for $479. I could probably swing that. I just have to do a bit of background on the company. It would be similar to the T55 correct?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halvie /forum/post/12880705

ninefivezero thanks for the heads up!

upscaleaudio.com has the T5 for $479. I could probably swing that. I just have to do a bit of background on the company. It would be similar to the T55 correct?

Upscale Audio is a reliable company. They are a b&m store primarily, and an online retailer is secondary to them. Very much like Saturday Audio.

5T is the predecessor to the T55, there are many good reviews about the 5T on the internet. It is a very good speaker, especially at $479.00/pr. Difference between 5T and T55 is not that great as to justify paying $300.00 more for the T55.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts