AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moved into a new home and it's time to upgrade the TV in my room (old 20" tube/vcr combo). I am going to be selling my old TV and 22" widescreen Samsung computer monitor to get some extra funds (probably $250+ for the monitor and like $30 for the TV)

The house is getting Dish HDTV with DVR. I also want to use the TV as my computer monitors, being able to switch between my TV, desktop and laptop.

Desktop will be used for gaming (I have 8800GTS video card), laptop will be used for movies.

I want to wall mount it on my wall in between my windows. I've gone around looking at some TV's and I've loved the color and clarity the Samsungs have shown but open for other suggestions.

Not looking to spend more than $1000-$1500 for the system and would like to have a 40+" LCD.

·
Registered
298 Posts
On Big River you can get the 40" Sammy 650 for under 1500...and the difference between 650 and 550 most definetly makes up for the 6" you would get with the 550.

·
Banned
439 Posts
not enough time to experience individually all the LCD displays available. But I did install the series 5 Samsung LCD (46 inch) for a friend this weekend, and I was pleased with its display quality, and ability to seamlessly integrate with a PC.

iq100

delete my ideas by posting some of your own.

·
Registered
599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacasner /forum/post/14225963

On Big River you can get the 40" Sammy 650 for under 1500...and the difference between 650 and 550 most definetly makes up for the 6" you would get with the 550.

Now that is opinion... Many don't like the mirror finish of the 650, or like the look 120hz gives. = I'd rather have a larger set in the 46A550.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardHitter /forum/post/14225968

Hows the Samsung 46" LNT4665F?

There is a special on it right now for only $1299.99

Last year's model. It's a good TV (I have two of its non-reflective matte screen sisters), but do go to the thread in this forum specific for the 61/65 series to learn about.

If I were you, I'd be looking for the newer (this year from Samsung models) 550/650 sets.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So there is the

LN40A550 - which is 40" and is around $1500 with free delivery

LN46A550 - which is 46" and is $1900 + delivery which is out of my budget

Then last years model which is the LNT4665F a 46" TV that is $1300 on sale right now.

I'll take a look at that thread

·
Registered
805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardHitter /forum/post/14226015

So there is the

LN40A550 - which is 40" and is around $1500 with free delivery

LN46A550 - which is 46" and is $1900 + delivery which is out of my budget

Then last years model which is the LNT4665F a 46" TV that is $1300 on sale right now.

I'll take a look at that thread

do yourself a favor and check the price of the 46a550 at amazon

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
HH, try Amazon for some price quotes. They have better prices on the 550 (by $400+) sets than those which you are quoting. Your prices must be quoted from BBY or CC?.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef jer /forum/post/14226031

do yourself a favor and check the price of the 46a550 at amazon

Yep, below 1.5K

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those prices are quoted from CC.

I am likely going to head to CC/BB later on today to check out the TV's and just see if I do need 46" in my room. Either way, I've always liked the looks/picture that Samsung has given me (I'm using their computer monitor now) and I haven't had any problems *knock on wood*

And how safe is it shipping a huge TV like that?

·
Registered
599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardHitter /forum/post/14226060

Those prices are quoted from CC.

I am likely going to head to CC/BB later on today to check out the TV's and just see if I do need 46" in my room. Either way, I've always liked the looks/picture that Samsung has given me (I'm using their computer monitor now) and I haven't had any problems *knock on wood*

Make Best Buy price match the online price... I did within $30 at the time for the 40".

46" isn't all that huge, & LCD is very safe with shipping.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Best Buy will PM that?

If so, I think I'm going to head and pick that 46" up after taking a look at it. Also, if I just have a regular truck (Ford Ranger short bed) will the TV fit fine or should I also have straps to strap it down just incase.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardHitter /forum/post/14226060

As safe as it was to ship it from the factory in Mexico to a US warehouse.

·
Registered
599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardHitter /forum/post/14226082

Best Buy will PM that?

Depends on the person you get... You may have to make a big fuss about it. They didn't exactly price match to the exact dollar amount, but it was close enough for me so I could get it that same day.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guys I went to BB and they have the

LNT4661F for 50% off so it's $950.00 + taxes.

It is one of the TV's they used for display which is why they are having the sale as I guess they are selling all of last years TV's.

Their LNT46a550 was $1700 + taxes but if I end up with the 550 I'd go with Amazon.com

What do you guys think I should do, how is that TV?

·
Registered
805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardHitter /forum/post/14226668

Guys I went to BB and they have the

LNT4661F for 50% off so it's $950.00 + taxes.

It is one of the TV's they used for display which is why they are having the sale as I guess they are selling all of last years TV's.

Their LNT46a550 was $1700 + taxes but if I end up with the 550 I'd go with Amazon.com

What do you guys think I should do, how is that TV?

I personally avoid open box tv's. The 61's are last years set so it could have been on 12+ hours a day, 7 days a week in torch mode. Do yourself a favor and go with the newer tech that somebody else (whether it is a return or display) has not had a chance to possibly damage. If you purchase through amazon they will price match for 30days and i have seen the tv on amazon for a C note less than it is now. Additionally the 61's had some hdmi handshake issues that might be an issue if you plan on using a ps3 (although a firmware update may have fixed this?).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts