AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've poked around the forum and read a lot about different acoustic treatments. The data out there is massive. Perhaps somebody has an opinion on how to approach this.

We're framing next weekend. This is NOT a dedicated theatre (no doors are closed behind you), but it will be a pretty large screen (106"...large for me at least) and not much will be happening around the screen. In other words, this part of the room will be mostly about movies.

Anyhow, I don't have a lot of room to do much on the sides of the screen. My first choice is to use an acoustically permeable screen and mount the speakers behind it. Again, I'm not trying to build the ultimate theatre here - no way - I do don't have the cash - but, I'd like something that looks and sounds nice.

I've seen the different fabrics out there. If you had to answer the question "what is the bare minimum you'd do for acoustic treatments," how would you answer?

Thanks,

KRis

·
Registered
532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpfeif /forum/post/18266666

I've poked around the forum and read a lot about different acoustic treatments. The data out there is massive. Perhaps somebody has an opinion on how to approach this.

We're framing next weekend. This is NOT a dedicated theatre (no doors are closed behind you), but it will be a pretty large screen (106"...large for me at least) and not much will be happening around the screen. In other words, this part of the room will be mostly about movies.

Anyhow, I don't have a lot of room to do much on the sides of the screen. My first choice is to use an acoustically permeable screen and mount the speakers behind it. Again, I'm not trying to build the ultimate theatre here - no way - I do don't have the cash - but, I'd like something that looks and sounds nice.

I've seen the different fabrics out there. If you had to answer the question "what is the bare minimum you'd do for acoustic treatments," how would you answer?

Thanks,

KRis

Try doing decorative panels with a beveled edge or something. Put something up, because bare walls just create reflections. You don't have to get into the mathematics, but use the "mirror" trick to find out the first point of reflection. If you search the forums for "mirror first point reflection" you should come across a description on how to do this... Where those points are put up some panels.

Without a longer dialogue on the "how's and why's" you'll want to put up some absorbtion in the room at the very least.

Check out http://sensiblesoundsolutions.com/index.php?cPath=21 for some info on the panels. You can also make these, but if you want to keep it simple, but them.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I understand that Home Depot, as being a supplier of Owens Corning product, HAS to offer 703 and 705 panels.

I plan on finding out Tuesday.

·
Registered
719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightguy /forum/post/18433049

I understand that Home Depot, as being a supplier of Owens Corning product, HAS to offer 703 and 705 panels.

I plan on finding out Tuesday.

Be prepared to be disappointed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts