AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My theatre is in the basement and I'd like to be able to increase those late night decibel levels without disturbing my wife and daughter. It's basic drywall construction with suspended 2X4 ceiling tiles. I'm thinking of filling the ceiling void with fiberglass pink and adding neoprene weatherstripping seals (auto door bottoms and thresholds) to the furnace room and basement entry doors as well as styrofoam on the back of the utilty doors to help deaden furnace AC noise. Are there better (more efficiant) products that are still cost effective? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brad

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
I insulated the hell out of everything with fiberglass and it works pretty well, except for the bass. If you have really high ceilings (I don't) you could do a true room within a room, only touching the rest of the house at the floor!

Bass transmission is a tough one, fortunately the bedrooms are on the second floor, not over the living room/foyer, which are over the theater in the basement. In the closest bedroom, you get a little of the bass, but I think it would only wake a very light sleeper.

Eric.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.