AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping this thread attracts all you A/V gurus out there and hopefully I can learn a thing or two. I am going to post exactly what I am looking for and hopefully you can help me choose the perfect Receiver to accomplish what I want.

I have a PS3 and am about to invest in the Vizio 47" 1080p LCD (from what I hear its a great TV and Costco offers a lifetime warranty on televisions...so its a great investment). I want a receiver that doesn't do that HDMI passthru thing (not a big media guy...still a newb)...

I want great quality sound but right now I only have a decent Bose Acoustimass system that I got for free from a hand me down. Its like 10 years old...but its 5.1 channels (5 speakers..i think thats right) and the subwoofer of course...

One feature I would really love is the ability to rename my HDMI inputs. Oh yea, that is a must...HDMI inputs and outputs. I keep hearing all these down falls about how the upscaling isn't working. I just want the bottom line on which receiver I should get...

I want HDMI switching (Cable box and PS3 -> LCD) and ability to rename inputs. All for under 650ish...something around that price is as high as I want to go....preferably...

Any assistance would be awesome. Also...what is an amplifier? And what makes it different or better or whatever from a receiver? Just looking for some insight...

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are both nice receivers. And affordable...but what about quality and also the function to rename your inputs? Can any of those do it and the name brands?

Is Yamaha any better or Onkyo? Which is the high end in receivers? I dont want to go crazy...but I do want the most functionality, quality and style while still getting the renamable inputs.....HDMI upconversion and HDMI switching.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Check out some of the owner threads in this forum on Onkyo and Yamaha. I know my 2700 has it's annoyances, and I would guess Onkyos do as well.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Is Yamaha any better or Onkyo? Which is the high end in receivers?

Neither.

The Integra series is the higher scale receiver made by Onkyo. If I remember correctly, the Yamaha has a little more warm sound than the Integra. Or, it could be the other way around. If you replace your Bose speakers (yes, they are not audiophile or even great speakers, but they are definately worth what you have invested...) with bright speakers then a warmer sounding amplifier might be better. But, I wouldn't call either the Onkyo or Yamaha a high end manufacturer.

HOWEVER, I don't know why I say all that, because at your price point

the Pioneer Elite VSX-80 would smoke anything else in the sub $650 category.

If at all possible, give it a listen. It would serve you well for many years - by today's standards you could choose any of six or seven high quality $1500 to $2500 5.1 speaker systems and not need any more than what this receiver has to offer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually the 82TXS was the one I was looking at originally, which I am guessing is the upgraded version as it is more expensive. It looks great and the reveiws from cnet are awesome...but still I can't find whether or not it does the INput renaming function. Its not life or death...but I am a huge organization freak and this would be a huge selling point...

·
Registered
462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moretti /forum/post/0

but still I can't find whether or not it does the INput renaming function. Its not life or death...but I am a huge organization freak and this would be a huge selling point...

Page 73 in the owners manual is called "renaming input source names". Looks like you are good to go on the VSX-82 model:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/vg...structions.pdf

·
Registered
236 Posts
"Actually the 82TXS was the one I was looking at originally"

Killer receiver. Also, I just learned what upconverting receivers do (not convert 480i to 720p or 1080i as upconverting DVD players do) - they take the component analog video signal from your old cable tv box and/or dvd player and convert it to a digital video signal that can be output via the receiver's HDMI output (to your television).

Important, the VSX-82 does this but the VSX-80 does not. Probably of supreme importance to some people.

"Looks like you are good to go on the VSX-82 model"

Ooooh, except it is nearly twice the $650 budget. I wondered how I got off on the VSX-80...

If you are considering the VSX-82, I'd suggest taking a look at the Outlaw Audio 1070.

IF you have efficient speakers and

IF you have a medium or small sized room (under 3000 CF)

IF you don't listen real loud (loud, but not real loud), and

IF the Outlaw unit will do the video switching you need (and, it is doubtful that it will)

THEN I'd suggest the Outlaw unit would smoke the Pioneer Elite VSX-82 sonically.

Something to think about.

Good luck!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a random question but is it possible to turn wired Bose speakers into wireless? Would really open up my options for my 2 rear speakers to be put anywhere as opposed to specific spots...

THey are wired from the speaker to the Subwoofer and then to the receiver...not sure if there was an attachment or component I could attach to it to turn them into wireless.

Besides that I am pretty set on the 82TSX. Now to save up a few hundred and grab one before I change my mind and grab my new Samsung LCD. Gonna be a sweet setup hopefully. Oh and the 82 is like 750ish on certain sites including Ebay...so its not bad at all...

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
You can turn any speaker into a wireless speaker with two things. First, you need a wireless stereo transmitter. I can't think of a name off the top of my head, but I have seen them.

Next you would need a basic 2-channel amp. You should not have to spend to much on this. You could go with a used amp.

There is another method. There are a few wireless amps out there such the Amphony 1550 (50 watts mono, $200 per mono amp.)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So how does that work? Would I plug something into the speaker on the wall? Like a small transmitter and then have another A/V component that receives the audio near the TV and then plugs into the subwoofer where the speaker used to?

It seems complicated but would be quite nice...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.