AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to pick up a smaller LCD for my bedroom. Obviously I want the most bang for my buck. I think I have it narrowed down to the Vizio VA26L for $329 at Target or the Vizio VX240M for $279 at Costco. I'm leaning towards the VX240M because it's cheaper and only 2" smaller. Which one should I go for or what other options should I look at? My budget is $350.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Get the bigger one. Even at that size, you will notice a difference in the 2". It's your money and your choice, but 24" is not a standard screen size for an LCD TV. The next screen size down from a 26" is usually 22".

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Personally, I don't think any cheap Vizio has a good picture, but if $350 is your top limit, then you should get what you can afford. You may also look at a Samsung LN26B360. It should be pretty close to what you want to pay and can also be found at Target and possibly Costco (I know Sam's has them).

·
Registered
69 Posts
One thing to note about the VX240M is that can function as a computer monitor. It is capable of 1080p, which your computer will recognize. PQ is very good, tv tuning sensitivity is very good, sound is a little tinny. It mounts on the wall with a 100x100 pattern. 2 hdmi's, s-video, rgb, component and digital out are useful for me. I use a MacMini Core Duo with it at 1920x1080p and an Elgato 250+ dvr. It has dynamic contrast which is great for a bedroom when the lights are out. It is visible, but doesn't become objectionable.

Costco is the cheapest, even if you aren't a member (like me); just pay the additional $14 non-member fee.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the VA26L and took it back, it was $298 at Wally World. The limited viewing angles were just too much for me, as long as viewing the set directly at eye-level it was fine. The PQ was good and the built-in sound was better than I expected. I tried the Samsung 26B360 which cost quite a bit more and was disappointed in it as well. It too suffered from poor viewing angles and I noticed more motion blur than on the Vizio. I could also notice input lag when gaming. I guess at this size everyone uses lackluster TN panels. Though I've heard some good things about the VL260M at Sam's Club. I haven't had the chance to get a look at it.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxjazz /forum/post/17197072

Although it exceeds you budget by a few bucks, here is a 32" that has great PQ and would make a nice bedroom TV. Check out the review rom Cnet- http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...?tag=mncol;lst

I have this set in my bedroom. Very happy with it. 720p is fine for a set this size. Ample inputs and good options for adjustic the picture.

·
Registered
313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxjazz /forum/post/17197072

Although it exceeds you budget by a few bucks, here is a 32" that has great PQ and would make a nice bedroom TV. Check out the review rom Cnet- http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...?tag=mncol;lst

In the $300ish range, I'd definitely be looking for (or holding out for) a deal on a 32" set. There are PLENTY of 32" sets in the low $300s (on sale).

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/17197445

If u move around so much in bed and have such a HUGE bed, something else needs addressing.

You may have a point there.
BTW my bed is by no means huge, it's just the only place I have to put a TV is about a foot above eye level. I think I'm gonna hold out on a deal for a 32".

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I'm picking up the Vizio VA26 for the bedroom myself, Very sharp picture, but the VL260M specs do intrigue me. For the Price you can't be beat for the VA26. But if the VL26oM is in the ball park then Hmmmm. That's a 10bit panal.

but yeah the VA26 has a very nice sharp picture to it.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/17197445

If u move around so much in bed and have such a HUGE bed, something else needs addressing.

OP, budget for some external powered speakers, flat panels, specially smallish one, will have tinny sounds.

Quoted For Truth, a nice pair of computer speakers is a nice remedy for this, a pair of Altec Lansing or Logi Tech for about $30 is the route to go.

But I turnd up the speakers on the VA26 and they were half bad. The new VL26OM is supposed to have the SRS Tru Surround speakers so they'll be decent, not blow you away but you shouldn't get that tinny no bass speakers that were all to prevalent in so many LCD's .

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd /forum/post/17197763

I'm picking up the Vizio VA26 for the bedroom myself, Very sharp picture, but the VL260M specs do intrigue me. Right the price can't be beat for the VA26. But if the VL26oM is in the ball park then Hmmmm.

but yeah the VA26 has a very nice sharp picture to it.

I really did like the set except for the one problem I had with it. I was happy with the PQ and the features. It was a nice little TV.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd /forum/post/17197763

... But if the VL26oM is in the ball park then Hmmmm. That's a 10bit panal.

where did you get the info that its a 10bit panel? i'm really hoping you are right because i want to use it as a computer monitor, and for the price if its a 10bit panel with 178 degree vertical/horizontal viewing angles then its a great deal for a combo tv/monitor.

has anyone hooked up the VL260M to their computer yet?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts