AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a 27" TV due to cabinet constraints for a condo. Reading threads it looks like Sony's 27" can't be adjusted for geometry problems. JVC has historically had a nice product. Can anyone steer me to a brand/model that will deliver the goods w/o breaking the bank?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Check out the Toshiba models, reasonable priced and excellent long term operating record so you can save money avoiding an extended warranty.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was big on JVC TV's before I got my Sony HS500. I am still big on JVC but I got such a great deal on the HS I couldn't turn it down. I think there are pros and cons for both and my advice would be to go with either.

If you are looking analog the JVC AV27F(803 or 703) is nice and for the _money_ slightly outdoes the Sony. For the same price, however, it is a toss up.

I had a JVC 27" for five years and was really happy. I just wish it would have been flat screen. Now that isn't an issue anymore because JVC now has flat screens.

I think it comes down to a prefrence in picture. If you get a chance to look at both, that is your best bet.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, Trying to find the models on display may be a chore. I'm always amazed by the response when I ask to play Avia through a tv that I am auditioning.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Dave,

I was trying to choose between a JVC 27" (27AV320) and a Toshiba 27"(forget the model number, but both non-flat models).

Viewed the pictures side-by-side, both neutrally (out of the box settings) and with what appeared 'best' to my eye, at two different stores (Best Buy and a regional electronics dealer). In both cases, the JVC was superior (quite noticeably) due to what appeared to be convergence issues on the Toshiba picture (definate, heavy blue fringing on white text on the whole right half of the picture).

When I saw the problem in the first store, I thought it was a fluke, but the set in the second store had the exact same problem. So I went with the JVC (which, BTW was about $30 more that the Toshiba).

I've had a 32" JVC for about 5 years and am quite happy with its picture (and it gets quite heavy use every day).

Good Luck.

SteveK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.