·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a NEC MultiSync GT1200, LCD projector

Old and only 300 lumens.

However, resolution goes to Maximum: 1280x1024 Pixels

Aspect Ratio: 5:4 (SXGA)

What I want to do is play DVD's at higher resolution. Line doubling would be nice also _grin_

If I could put up football games and the odd cable thing at higher resolution that would be great also.

The NEC has RGBHV bayonet inputs and DB15 (vga) inputs.

Looking through the forurm it seems as if the DVDO iScan HD would be just the thing. However, I can't justify that kind of money for a device this old.

I saw an AVT 3800 on E-bay - New for $350. This would be more in my price range for this project.

Any suggestions and input appreciated.

Regards

Ken L

·
Registered
231 Posts
The other brand that is like the AVT 3800 is the Zinwell Brite View. It has two different kind of model one with DVI and one without DVI. If you are interested you can do a search under my name to find out more information about Zinwell Brite View.

I personally think Zinwell Bite View is the best video scaler in its price range from feature to performance.

Bill

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Native is SXGA which is nice and would be the best resolution to feed it, but pretty dim and poor contrast. The bulb alone will be expensive, dead pixel a plenty, durability questioned, and hard to find bulb or replacement parts. If I were you I would donate it to a school or church, and claim a tax write off (MSRP of 50K new means you could claim fair value to be $5K and if your tax bracket is 40-50%, you could get $2K back). Use this to buy a new, brighter, decent PJ like the BenQ 6200 DLP or if you like 16:9, Sanyo PLV-Z2.

If you insist on keeping this dinosaur then HTPC (check the home theater PC forum) gives you the best quality for the money. If you don't want to use a PC then AVT-3800 is very good (newer version of AVT-3700 Imagemax or Zinwell Brightview). They are very similar using Trident DPTV 3D processing chip with component/Svideo/composite in and output can be component (you can't use) or RGB (VGA/SVGA/XGA/SXGA with SXGA being your best resolution) via a toggle switch in the back. The 3800 has VGA pass through (3700 does not) which is useful if you want to use a PC in addition to this scaler. Cheaper version would include the Smedia TV tuner/scaler with only Svideo/Composite in and VGA out (SXGA max resolution which will fit your PJ best): http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...=BROWSE&depa=0 and at $135 shipped it may be your cheaper bet. It uses Trident DPTV 3DPro which is a newer version of the scaling chip but does not have component input or output. It may have Macrovision light/dark cycling but I'm sure it will be very mild. It does have 16:9 squeeze mode which is rare in a scaler this price range. It also has a TV tuner and PIP which is an extra bonus. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt you can find the non-DVI Zinwell for under $400. DVI version is over $500 and is useless for your old PJ.

AVT is made in Erlanger, KY with a 30D money back guarantee and toll-free tech support (I have their old AVT-3700. Zinwell is black while AVT is silver. Zinwell may (and I do stress may as it's been touted but not proven as most people have EITHER Zinwell or AVT but not both) have newer firmware improving 480p image. Higher resolutions were not improved (according to tech support of AVT). They tried to use Zinwell firmware on their AVT and there were some "incompatibilities". Zinwell is made overseas and has US salesmen but support is not as robust. They both use the same guts otherwise.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I had made enough money to be in a 40 to 50% tax bracket _grin_.

At this time I guess I'll just have to try to get by with the old dinosuar.

I'll check these things out.

I gather from your posts that you believe that the AVT's and Britemax are generally worth the money and an acceptable alternative.

Huey, you're very knowledgeable. Most people have never heard of this unit.

last but not least here - assuming the dinosaur dies on me at some point or I upgrade to something else - will say the AVT 3800 be good enough quality to use with something like the BenQ 6200 DLP or Sanyo PLV-Z2?

Regards

Ken L

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
720p via component will be very nice with XGA DLP or WXGA LCD that you mentioned. Another alternative is to get DVI scaling DVD players for those PJ that supports DVI as it's better than VGA. VGA and component are pretty similar in PQ. $350 is not bad for new AVT-3800 as I paid $400 for my AVT-3700. Tech support is superb and they will send you free firmware chip upgrades later no questions ask (I did not have to fax any receipts or anything as my name is in their customer database).

For some reason, Zinwell has always been slightly more expensive with pretty much the same guts. Probably because Ziwell is the original and AVT is the clone and thus Zinwell will always have newer firmware available but AVT will catch up after a few months. zinwell DVI is nice but only supports computer resolutions of VGA/SVGA/XGA/SXGA (720p via DVI is not supported as far as I know--BillChiu will correct me if I'm wrong) so won't help the DVI input of Sanyo Z2 (720p will still be best as it's native for Z2--1280X720). Of course DVI is useless to you.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Does anyone have contact info for AVT? Google searches only turn up dealers, not the company. Thanks much!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.